Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Approx cost for a agricultural building (Highlands)  (Read 4110 times)

Mrs South

• Joined Nov 2013
Approx cost for a agricultural building (Highlands)
« on: November 29, 2013, 05:54:47 pm »
Hey

Does anyone have any idea who much agricultural buildings cost? I've googled but just get loads of sites asking for details so they can send estimates.

I'm not looking for more than 40sq so if anyone can give me a ballpark for anything around the 30-40 m sq I'd be grateful

I'm guessing wood might be more expensive than the green ones I see around the place (not sure what they are made of…metal?)

Thanks in advance

PS presume they have to be built by someone i..e you can't do it yourself?

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
Re: Approx cost for a agricultural building (Highlands)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 08:43:48 pm »
Can't help with costs in the Highlands but for a building of the floor area you're looking at there's no reason why you shouldn't build it yourself if you choose to, especially in timber framing which is straightforward hammer and nail or bolt and nut technology. There are plenty of good guides to timber framing if you search on the net; you could also try a search for TRADA, the Timber Research and Development Association as it used to be known, who have an excellent bookshop service for technical books on the subject; most are aimed at professional users but worth a look.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 11:29:28 am »
No reason at all why you shouldn't build it yourself.  I built one and now have the bug and want to build more!
Costs will vary depending on what you want.  A good quality steel building on a concrete slab would probably be about £7k (based on the price of my one which is 72m2 and built myself).  I am now planning building a smaller shed (35m2) which will be much more basic (timber frame, earth floor) and suspect it will cost about £2.5-3k.

The green sheeting is plastic coated metal (the modern version of corrugated tin).  There is a company in Buckie that makes this and delivers all over the highlands.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 08:25:32 pm »
we've constructed our sheds ourselves up in the far north west highlands, we've found delivery costs for specific items like i.e a shed to be extortionate and travis perkins deliver more reasonably every week. The local sawmills do loads of off cuts/cladding for next to nothing (they don't advertise it) so you can construct a decent shed for next to nothing. Keep and eye on scot ads and local rags for people selling off old sheds (buyer dismantles etc) so you can pick up a bargain  :thumbsup:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Humblepie

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 08:45:43 pm »
so how much is the concrete base going to cost? when i looked at building a block of 4 stables - it seemed the hardcore and concrete base seemed a significant part of the cost.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS