Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What have I started????  (Read 3462 times)

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
What have I started????
« on: November 18, 2013, 04:11:52 pm »
My son is 19, and pisses himself laughing at me every time I head off to the yard in my breeches or jods (apparently I look silly), he has had no interest in my riding whatsoever, ever.

Thought to myself I'd have a bit of a bonding session with him, like you do, so got him a half hour riding lesson this afternoon, didn't tell him, just dragged him out of his fetid pit at 1pm (it's his day off today, he's not a complete waste of space, nearly but not completely (parasite is a better description)), took him to the stables (never been there before, so didn't really dawn on him) and put him in his lesson.

Not sure what I've started, he's totally addicted, looks like a sack of potatoes and makes girly squeally noises, but he's loved it, he's now got weekly half hour lessons booked (his money & he's paid up for a month) and just twisted my arm to take him to robinsons for a hat, boots , (I've given him my old gloves) and a pair of jods ( he looks really silly)

He was a bit taken back by my jumping, (made me feel almost adequate as a role model  :excited:), he wouldn't shut up on the way home, aledgidly he's going to Be better than me in 6 months

Anyway, looks like I've got mucking out labour for free ( well when he gets better I'll swap it for sessions on mine, think Clarkey is a bit forward for him), just need to work out if he can get a bus to the yard so as I don't have to take him

Made up with myself, don't often do things like that for him (me), usually ends up in disaster, he's gone playing footy now, poor bugger can't walk properly, he's going to be sore tomorrow
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 04:14:20 pm by Alistair »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: What have I started????
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 04:59:50 pm »
Well done. It's nice to have a shared interest with your offspring. And even nicer when you never in your wildest dreams expected it.
I know exactly where you're coming from with the ridicule. I get the same when I get on my donkey or mule.  :roflanim: (Decided that as I am of retirement age, and a novice, that I am safer on a donkey/mule than a pony.)
But my older son still has the odd ride on my donkey. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 05:17:38 pm »
That's fantastic, I would love to ride again but cannot see it....my husband would also love to ride and I recon he would  be good, so nice to have a new interest in life!! :thumbsup:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 08:52:55 pm »
What have you started indeed. will he want his own horse ? Once hooked it takes over your life but what a life. wonderful !

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 09:04:33 am »
He may also notice relatively quickly how stable yards tend to be predominantly female and that a young man in jodhs, however silly looking, will get a LOT of attention from young women in jodhs who may not look quite so silly to him..  ;)   And a young man skilled at mucking out and grooming, well  ;D
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 11:19:53 am »
 :innocent: :innocent: , of course, stable girls ....that's it, Steve is not learning to ride!!

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 06:36:59 pm »
My dad had a friend who always said that horses aren't a hobby, they're an incurable disease!
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 10:01:28 pm »
Isn't it nice when fathers declare their love for their sones publicly  :)

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 05:15:42 pm »
Isn't it nice when fathers declare their love for their sones publicly  :)

Loves not really the right word, more begrudging tolerance, I always aspired for my wife to be a single parent, just never really turned out that way, I managed to muck up the absent father bit as well... Mind with any luck and a fair wind he might leave home soon

He's not flavour of the month - he eat my wine gums that I'd saved up my pennies to buy  :gloomy:

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 07:17:42 pm »
must be a child thing i came home and promptly rummaged through my dads packet of sports mix for all the black ones. i too am not flavour of the month :P

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 08:12:12 pm »
sound great - well done  :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS