Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: WANTED: incubator  (Read 2934 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
WANTED: incubator
« on: November 09, 2013, 03:06:42 pm »
Looking for the following please if you have one you're not likely to use:

Not too big - doesn't have to hold many eggs but MUST be big enough for goose eggs (if it holds a dozen goose eggs then I'm happy)

Preferably (but not essentially) automatic turner

Don't want anyone's old dusty left in a corner and it probably works one - want something decent please or I'd rather get a new one.

I can pay postage (obviously) or could collect if near enough, I'm in Scottish Borders.

Thanks all!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: WANTED: incubator
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 06:23:24 pm »
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=36455.msg382360#msg382360

Hi - I still have my Brinsea purchased earlier this year and used only once before I decided I was selling and moving out.   

It should do what you want and though not automatic I always found goose eggs do better when turned end over end rather than rocked or rolled.  They say it exercises the embryos more and that it how the mother goose does it, so I always hand turned my goose eggs.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 06:48:15 pm »
i have pmed you goosepimple

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 08:09:22 pm »
Thanks darkbrown, yours is a bit big but I note what you say about the goose eggs so that's interesting and I'll remember that - why don't you get yours on ebay, it's easy to do if you haven't done it before  ;)

thanks Garvie, have replied.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 08:13:44 pm »
12 goose eggs would require a rather large incy.
 :fc:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 07:14:32 pm »
My 24 hen eggs one (Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance) takes about 8 goose eggs at a push... but I think it has been superseded by another model.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 07:40:15 pm »
Goose pimple I have R com pro brinsea hatch maker and a hova bater all to go R com serviced brinsea auto hova self turn R com.150. Brinsea 85 hova 30 all good .

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 10:57:11 pm »
ThankVF and everyone, I've agreed to take Garvies  ;)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 07:48:34 am »
Be aware that some of the smaller auto turn incubators might accomodate 12 goose eggs, for example the Rcom Suro, but the turning mechanism will really struggle with the weight and will probably break.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 01:09:17 pm »
Thanks hughsey, that's good info, I'll not be greedy and do half a dozen at a time, many thanks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS