Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can i use up pony foal mix on my ewes to save throwing it away?  (Read 1684 times)

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
can i use up pony foal mix on my ewes to save throwing it away?
« on: November 08, 2013, 11:34:51 am »
was thinking of feeding an open bag of foal mix to my ewes once I start feeding them(they usually get nuts once weather gets worse) to save me wasting it by throwing it away as no ponies to eat it now...
is it likely to be bad for my ewes if fed in small quantities?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: can i use up pony foal mix on my ewes to save throwing it away?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 12:16:03 pm »
Not knowing whats in a foal mix I had a quick google...from what I see they all contain copper, so I would not be giving that to sheep.  I suspect that most of the ingredients would in themselves be ok for sheep, but I would worry about the different levels of minerals that are in it (like the copper).

I'm sure someone else on here will know for sure...

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 01:58:05 pm »
Cannot feed your foal mix or any other horse and pony mix to sheep. should say on the bag I would have thought .To do with the copper.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 06:14:53 pm »
Yes, agree with above advice, no feed designed for horses and ponies should be given to sheep, the levels of copper are likely to poison them.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 09:00:39 pm »
No all horse feeds have to much copper the one animal that seems to cope well with it is the pigs but would then only feed small quantities and not in bulk.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS