Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Acorns WARNING  (Read 2246 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Acorns WARNING
« on: November 04, 2013, 05:06:47 pm »
Fallen stock came to collect our ewe today  :'( :'( :'( .

He had 10 lambs on ...... all killed by acorn poisoning. Said there had been several cases and warned me to rake up as many as I could. We have a large oak in our paddock. Never had a problem but he said that once they get a taste for them they will eat until poisoned. Did my best to get as many up as possible though it wasn't very easy. Mast year causing problems apparently with loads of very big acorns down.

Thought I would pass on the warning.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
Re: Acorns WARNING
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 05:35:53 pm »
We are avoiding using our 2 paddocks with oak trees in will prob rake as many up as poss then let the piggys up there for 2 days before.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 05:36:18 pm »
It's been a bumper crop of Acorns this year, and a lot have been brought down by the winds.
To those that are able; rake them up asap, and consider cutting back overhanging branches in fields occupied by sheep or horses.

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 06:05:17 pm »
I am really sorry about your ewe. There were hardly any acorns last year were there.

I'm really glad you've started this thread. All my sheepy friends have been seriously taking the pi** out of me for going to the following lengths:

We electric fenced off under the oak tree line about 4 weeks ago - we have a 500metre stretch with massive oaks to contend with and there are more acorns than I've ever seen in my life and they are still falling! We took two lawn mowers down there yesterday - set them as low as they would go and mowed them up   :idea: - it was a bit like hoovering! The grass box filled in seconds. Ended up with shredded acorn and leaf mulch which we tipped over the fence line.  Can't hope to get them all though and still have half of the tree line to do. Presumably they get less toxic as they lay there a few weeks - and less appetising?  God I hope so  - as fencing off the treeline is also fencing off a lot of their natural shelter.

I don't feel quite so stupid now. (Just as stupid as usual)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:13:46 pm by bizzielizzie66 »
Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 06:14:23 pm »
Am relieved of the back up too. When Ferdie, our youngest ram left for pastures new a couple of Fridays back I was told he was straight into munching on oak leaves upon arrival at his new pad. The alarm bells set off in my noddle and I was reassured that the sheep weren't interested in the acorns. I was still worried however as Ferdie had never seen an acorn and may well be curious. Have alerted the buyers, very nice people who will want to do right by their sheep, that there is a definate danger. We have no oaks thank goodness. Almost considered a place in France with 'mature oak trees' though  :relief:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS