Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: girls or boys?  (Read 2236 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
girls or boys?
« on: October 27, 2013, 02:24:42 pm »
I am sure this has been asked on here a millions times before, but here goes again.

I have two chicks, one a barnevelder and one a black silkie.  I can't remember exactly when they were hatched (bought a new academic year calendar and stupidly forgot to transfer lots of useful stuff from the old one), but I think they are around 8 - 10 weeks old.  They are the only ones of those breeds I have, as they were bought as hatching eggs, so I have nothing to compare them to.

Can anyone give me a clue as to how I would tell if they are male or female, please?

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: girls or boys?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 09:41:55 pm »
I always look for wattles and the combs are redder in cockerels as a rule.  If you push down on their backs, males object more and females often crouch. Hackle feathers are more pointy in males, but no idea about a silkie cross!

You might just have to wait and see...

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 11:29:26 pm »
Very hard with just one of each. I've got Orps and have never been able to spot the pointy feathers but yes, comb and wattles are marginally more prominent. In comparison, cockerels are normally a bit bigger with thicker legs - but hard when you can't compare. I suspect patience will be required....

H

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 07:01:03 pm »
When they crow they are cockerels. When they lay eggs they are hens. Nothing else is 100% reliable Mowhaugh.

Perhaps the fighters are males, perhaps the first wing feathers are females. But I've seen females fight and beat males. I've seen those with first flight feathers as males.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 05:27:55 pm »
When they crow they are cockerels. When they lay eggs they are hens. Nothing else is 100% reliable Mowhaugh.

;D That's the theory I was working on so I will just wait and see!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS