Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: His time is almost up...  (Read 3411 times)

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
His time is almost up...
« on: October 18, 2013, 11:26:59 am »
I think this little fella's time is almost up as he is from the first batch of eggs which one hen was sitting on when we first moved here at the end of May. If anything he's probably had a little longer than others might have allowed him...

We're mentally preparing for our first go at chicken slaughter/butchering - It looks like I've got to do the actual killing so I'm hoping that my better half will do the plucking and with luck my step-daughter (a trainee nurse) will handle the messy evisceration bit!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: His time is almost up...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 11:55:03 am »
We did our three May born cockerels last month. They were our first home reared kill. Very nerve wracking, especially the first. We did it together as I think we needed the support of each other. By the third we had the procedure perfected. Kill, pluck, hang and a few days later gutted.
Good luck, it's not easy but does get easier as you get confident. And there's nothing more rewarding than eating a meal you can say you have produced from scratch  :thumbsup:

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 04:50:12 pm »
Have you just got the one to do Richard?

I'v got a day trip down by your way week commencing 4th November sometime, I can pop in if you like?  :thumbsup:

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 08:21:18 am »
clansman, thanks for the offer... there is only the one at the moment but if I try I can always find a reason to put it off for a bit longer! Given our inexperience with all this you might take one look at the others and tell us to do them as well!

If everything can be worked out with you then that would be great but I'm not sure of the timing for all this. When would you be passing (first thing in the morning or at the end of the day)?

My original plan was to catch the nippy little beggar first thing one Saturday morning when he's still a little subdued, has little food in the crop and before the rest can notice what is going on . If I don't do that I'll never get him until bedtime   ;D 

However with the early start approach I assume it's best not to hang about and just get it over with so we'll need to be prepared with all the other "accoutrements" that are needed

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 11:50:27 am »
I catch them the night before and leave in a crate in the hut if possible, less stress in the morning, leave him water but no food.
I hate the plucking and the gutting, but at least the gutting is slightly interesting (identifying the bits)

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 05:49:12 pm »

If everything can be worked out with you then that would be great but I'm not sure of the timing for all this. When would you be passing (first thing in the morning or at the end of the day)?

I'll probably be heading down early (passing your way around 7am) then back up afternoon/evening.

Nothing decided on the actual day yet but i'd assume Monday to Wednesday as a best guess.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 02:06:49 pm »
Have a look at Ritchie Rigg's video on Youtube. Search for Providence Farm. I have just been on their course and it was excellent. Just done 2 of our boys this morning as we have freinds down at the weekend.  Very satisfying raising, killing and prepping your own birds. It's scary though and there is a sadness as well but I aways think you shouldn't eat meat at all unless you can do the deed with your own hands.

I've got 16 more to go before Xmas! The worst bit is the plucking if doing it dry. It seems that wet plucking is no longer the done thing. Anyone know why? A mate down the road has a wet plucking machine which he says takes about 30 seconds but it seems to be discouraged.

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 10:11:30 pm »
I thought the plucking wasn't such a problem if you tackle it almost immediately and then leave it to hang for a while before doing the rest of the job?

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 12:10:36 am »
I found the plucking a bit time consuming, even when done fresh, but not impractical. If doing a large number of birds it can be hard to pluck each one after killing if you are trying to get a rhythm going. Next year when I plan to do a larger batch (15-20 birds) I am hoping to get a few friends to help and get a bit of a system going with someone killing, someone plucking and someone gutting. But if you are doing just the one dry plucking should be fine. Best of luck with the job and I look forward to hearing how you get on  :thumbsup:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 04:07:10 am »
We find plucking the longest job as well FrostyM. So we now breed TNN's for meat as they have half the feathers. But we have to make sure they are not in a feather replacement as new ones don't pluck out. They are despatched, hung for 40 minutes, plucked dry in the same position, gutted and then frozen (or left in the fridge for 2 days to relax before cooking). We only do one a day. Apparently plucking in luke warm water is best, but it didn't work for us. Think the problem with wet plucking as well is getting poo from the vent into the skin through the feather holes perhaps?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS