Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sorry.... but old dogs problems again  (Read 5593 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Sorry.... but old dogs problems again
« on: October 27, 2013, 06:39:46 am »
My Sprollie  (looks just like a springer) is somewhere between 16 and 19 year age.

He was on previcox last year but that was given by the vet who does my large animals.... I moved him to a dog vet who changed to Metacam.  I took him off in the summer because I heard some horror stories about muscle wastage.... but with summers end he was in distress and he went back on metacam.  Its been fantastic for pain management but it seems to have brought with it (or developed as a coincidence) major continence issues. 

Fred poos just walking around, it is solid and easy to just pick up and can't seem to hold his wee at all,  My floor is the cleanest its ever been it has been washed 3 times in the last 24 hours and the new bed (lovely and deep for his old bones) is already in the washing machine because he wee'd in it when he was asleep (and poo'ed).

He doesn't seem to wash himself much and I am clipping and washing him today (after the wee'd in the bed incident). 

He doesn't seem distressed and most of this falls within yet another task to fit in a day.  In terms of the love and loyalty Fred and I have shared.... it isn't even a consideration.

At what time do I start to think about quality of life?  With his pain under control, do dogs feel embarrassment? 

I have spent so much time and thought and so much heartbreak on what will happen when Fred is not here, I feel I am starting to be ready for it now.  I want always though to do right by him, my forever dog.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Sorry.... but old dogs problems again
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 07:30:23 am »
 :bouquet:

I remember being in exactly this situation with my own old dog.  People told me, "You'll know when it's time.  You'll just know."  And I did. 

You will too.   :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 08:58:19 am »
 :bouquet: :bouquet: :bouquet:

As Sally says.

Our old Flattie had urinary incontinence. It wasn't constant but he would urinate at night all over the kitchen  ...... say 3 times weekly. Also dribbled urine in the day .... amount varied. He was given something to try to help his bladder control .... can't honestly say how effective it was. He wasn't embarrassed/worried and lived happily until old age meant we had him put to sleep. When all his systems failed. He was 14 ..... grand age for a Flat and hope my now Flat makes that  :fc: . He was also blind and on Metacam for his old bones and a heart tablet for a murmur. We could tell until the very end that he loved life.

It was very hard work though .... keeping the house clean. Had 2 very small children at the time. Constant mopping, bed washed every morning, wiped him down every day, regular bath and even covered the entire kitchen floor with plastic sheet every evening.

When I look back it was very hard work and maybe I was mad to do it. But I did it. He was totally happy and full of Flattie bounce until his time came and we all loved him.

You will know how your lad is feeling .... you know him best of all and you will know how much you can deal with too. That is important, too.

You will know. It's really hard but inside you'll know.   :bouquet:

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 02:48:04 pm »
I agree, you will know when it is time.  If he is happy and pain free at the moment and he is obviously staying clean from all your efforts then there is no reason not to keep him going.  There will come a time when you will just feel he has had enough and he will help you to feel this.  Enjoy each other meantime.  :hug:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 11:07:28 pm »
If eating well and taking an interest in what is going on ignore any inconveniences to yourself.  You will know when it is the right time!  He may tell you - one of mine turned his head away from a treat having always been a demanding dog,, and my GWP bitch always normally a greedy pig refused food.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 09:29:27 am »
Only you can answer this one.  :bouquet:

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 11:43:58 am »
"If eating well and taking an interest in what is going on ignore any inconveniences to yourself." Gee thanks, not only did I put in the original post that I didn't mind the cleaning up but..... I really don't need to be told to put my forever dog first.

Since Sunday he has peed in his bed, pee'd all over the sofa, probably while asleep and poo'ed in the kitchen.  None of that matters, that's what household appliances are for..... what matters is that sometime soon I will wish for a day when I need to clean up after him.

He needs a bath now xx

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 11:57:13 am »
 :hug:

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 01:25:10 pm »
So sorry to hear what you're going through. My Springer Bear is 12 now but was diagnosed with arthritis in his hips about a year ago. Most days he is fine but on a growing number of days he just doesn't want to get up. For now a combination of Cod liver oil, Glucosamine and on the worst days, Metacam is enough, we've got time and hopefully lots more but he too has been "My forever dog" (beautifully put) impossible to quantify what he has given me over the years. He has always simply been a good boy, the best and most perfect of companions. I hope desperately that when the time comes I will get it right- neither too soon nor too late- he deserves me to get it right.
Last year our ancient cat Jubbins (24) began having problems with abscesses in her mouth which became increasingly difficult to treat properly because of her age. Twice we took  her to the vets believing it might possibly be the moment, but she was able to soldier on for a few more months. When the day came my wife appeared at the back door with her in her arms and simply said "it's today". she just let us know. I hope desperately that Bear lets us know just as clearly and that Fred does the same for you

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 09:57:41 am »
"If eating well and taking an interest in what is going on ignore any inconveniences to yourself." Gee thanks, not only did I put in the original post that I didn't mind the cleaning up but..... I really don't need to be told to put my forever dog first.

Since Sunday he has peed in his bed, pee'd all over the sofa, probably while asleep and poo'ed in the kitchen.  None of that matters, that's what household appliances are for..... what matters is that sometime soon I will wish for a day when I need to clean up after him.

He needs a bath now xx
That wasn't meant as a criticism of you - it's just my opinion and my 'mantra' in life. I looked after my last old girl but one till she was 17 and a half, peeing and pooing everywhere.  When she refused her dinner I called my vet and she came to the house to check her over, Bonnie didn't lift her head to acknowledge a vet she knew well and loved, so we decided then to let her go - not many will come to the house these days, too much effort for them. 

I'm straight spoken, not unkind or unfeeling.  I have experienced your situation more than once. Whatever you do will be the right thing fro you and you will know when to do it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 10:50:31 am »
I think it is fine to carry on with the cleaning etc ......while you are happy to do it and they are happy despite it....

When either aspect of that changes, I think there's a risk of the happy memories being tainted. So whenever from now you think : ' enough ', that is the right time.

It would be different if the story has the possibility of a different ending, but that's not the case here so just go with your feelings day by day and  :hug: for when that day comes.

I have an old dog with heart failure and a large non operable tumour. He's pretty good at the moment tho his tummy is senstive now so some cleaning, but I do find it hard living with the decline and the inevitable looming as I've only ever had an old ram put down. I hope I tackle the scenario with as much grace and compassn as you clearly are with your old boy  :trophy:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 11:56:27 am »
We had an Old English on Metacam for over a year, no problems with incontinence, but once pain was under control we reduced dose to just enough to keep her moving easily.
She was also on some chews with Glucosamine, a teaspoon of codliver oil on her feed.
Is he on a high dose? I wonder if too much could be deadening any 'feeling the need to go'?
I wonder if the vet could advise on something for incontinence?
We had got a younger dog and she would still bounce round the yard with him, but then went downhill quite fast (she was getting on a bit by then)
One evening walk she just looked at me as though she was saying she'd had enough, she looked so miserable, tired and sad, next day it was done. Up till then she's had a brightness in her eyes.
But should I have had to leave it to her to tell me? should I have let her go before she looked so down?
I used have a Rough Collie, who I couldn't bear to part with, I'd sometimes have to help her stand up, once up she seemed OK, then she started wetting her bed, and LOOKED embarrased, she knew.  I always regret leaving it too long.
Only we can decide, and its so hard.  :(
I'd have a word with the vet, Good luck  :hug:

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 05:37:46 pm »
Dogango... I was a bit sensitive... sorry>

I'll just soldier on with him.  I might reduce his metacam a bit.  I've been giving him a 20kg dog dose, he weighs 17.5kg and the vet said I could drop it to 15kg dose.   As long as it manages his pain... I am happy to reduce it and give it a go

Provided his tail still wags (which it does), I don't care if he sleeps most of the day.... I'd rather have a day with him of sleep and accidents than a day without him :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 05:59:20 pm »
You're doing fine - just cuddle him a lot (when he's clean   :innocent::love:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS