Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hand made tools  (Read 1881 times)

rustyme

Hand made tools
« on: August 16, 2009, 06:21:13 pm »
http://video.globo.com/Videos/Player/Noticias/0,,GIM1104300-7823-A+PRODUOO+DE+FERRAMENTAS+ARTESANAIS+USADAS+NO+DIA-A-DIA+DOS+AGRICULTORES,00.html

the above link is for a video in Portuguese . it is about people making tools for the land , by hand , and we think we have a hard days work sometimes ??? It is only about 10 minutes long and although I couldn't understand a word , I found it very interesting .

cheers
Russ

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Re: Hand made tools
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 07:58:25 am »
Ahh...   Old Car springs quenched in old engine oil.  Not a power tool in sight.  I assume that Portugal, being part of the EU, has the same health and safety laws that we do?   Did you see that bench grinder?
Those guys work incredibly hard to make those tools.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

rustyme

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 12:29:32 pm »
hello Dave,
             I seem to remember reading the video was shot in Northern Brazil , so not much in the way of health and safety there !!!
     The first thing I made properly in my forge , was a draw knife . Made out of an old landrover leaf spring , and yes quenched in used car oil...lol. Then a couple of cold chisels out of straightened coil spring . Being a wimp , I had to use a 2lb hammer to work with mainly . The lump hammer nearly killed me . Good fun and very satisfying to turn scrap into something usefull , but to do it all day like those guys ....think I'll give that a miss.

cheers

Russ

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 08:17:11 am »
Hi Russ

A 2lb hammer is what most british Smiths use if they want any accuracy!  I do use a 1.5Kg hammer for shifting metal quickly but it's not accurate for finishing work and changing hammers is a pain when you have a piece of metal hot. It has inspired me to do a bit more recycling in the forge this winter though....

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS