Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Warning - fly strike - update  (Read 6404 times)

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Warning - fly strike - update
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 07:05:56 pm »

I don't think I could be doing with shearing tails though, sounds like far too much work!  I opt for the cull approach, I get rid of anything that gets struck (once its big enough to go).  I've no idea if it'll work, but I don't want to have to be coating my animals in chemicals all the time if I can help it.   Strike is just another item on the list of annoyances that mean that that animal gets struck off my "keep" list. :)
foobar, that sounds a bit harsh. It isn't the lambs fault she was struck  :(

Its not harsh - its very sensible. There is a strong genetic element in susceptability to strike. So, in essence it is  the lambs fault. Get rid of any stock that isn't 100% for an easier life and higher welfare.

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 07:21:14 pm »
i recently experienced stike for the first time here, it was not one of our sheep but an old billy goat, he is dead now. but was a hell of a tricky end, just like he was when alive.! and I was quite fond of him.
he was big and wight and called moby for a reason... horns too match.
I guess what I wanted to say apart from I hope your situation is rectified, is that I am really sure he was just old and it was his time, there could have been other factors but there are sheep lambs and other goats in the very near vicinity so why not them too.
no one else was effected. These things develop really fast, and at the time I was really shocked but on reflection, In my case I think the strike was secondary and there was something underling, ( could that be bred out?) it is a natural state of any ill or dieing animal to attract flys and other insects and predators etc. so they can decompose.
circle of life etc..

In our case we put a (drip on) on after consulting a vet, don't have name at hand. and seemed to ease his state after 12hr or so, it didn't get rid of all the strike though.
he died that day and I am sure It was not the strike, but i am guessing it was the straw
that broke him.
I think what I am trying to say In my inexperienced boots is maybe the flys know something is up in a certain animal, so as horrid as it is, possibly this is natures culling hand at play.

That being said it is my natural state to try to help at least, so I hope it go's well and
they may end up stronger for beeting it! the frost is on its way.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 09:47:50 pm »
So it's not just an isolated case... My friend had massive fly strike in her flock a couple of weeks ago - in NE Scotland in October? Never happened before!

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 10:51:11 am »
Now it may be totally irrelevant and it does seem funny but it goes to show…
My granddaughter left an 18” brown furry  bear outside on the grass last week for a couple of days.  I finally got round to rescuing it and put it in my garage for her next visit.  I moved the bear yesterday to find dozens of small maggots crawling on my bench.  Yep, a fly strike.  No I didn’t use Crovect. !! The bear is in the freezer for a couple of days then a hot wash, it’s a favourite toy so needs to be rescued.
So what’s going on?  Is it just the mild weather or do the flies know something ?

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 10:56:56 am »
EP90 - there's some on here who would advise you cull that bear as flystrike is apparently hereditary  :-J   Glad you are giving him a second chance though  ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 11:37:55 am »
EP90, I think the flies know that the bear wasn't able to fight back  :roflanim: . On a positive note i found that the chickens loved the maggots
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 02:53:28 pm »
Is she okay now, Bionic?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 04:41:46 pm »
She seems to be ok.
I keep checking on her and found some dead maggots on her this morning but nothing live. The wounds are healing over so I am hopful she will make a full recovery. I'm not uncrossing my fingers just yet though  :fc:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 05:15:04 pm »
 :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS