Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I'm soooo excited...  (Read 11830 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: I'm soooo excited...
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 01:38:31 pm »
I had a large flower on my squash plant yesterday but it has shrunk and is now closed.  There are a few more ready to come out - what should I do?  Am I supposed to pollinate them?  How do I know if they are male or female flowers or does it matter?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 06:13:52 pm »
you need to pollinated them.

Male looks like a long stem with a flower on the end
female looks like a big lump behind the flower .

It best to take the male flower and stick it inside the female flower or you can take a paint brush and tickle the middle of the male flower and then tickle the middle of the female flower.

Linz

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/gourds/msg0611545713356.html might be of uses to you
Linz
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 06:18:47 pm by Fluffywelshsheep »

rustyme

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2009, 06:40:55 pm »
ooh you are rude Linz..!!! ::) ::) ;D

cheers

Russ

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2009, 06:46:20 pm »
lol, this was the best way to explain the process for me.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2009, 08:38:31 pm »
I pickled my surplus courgettes in previous years like sweet cucumber pickle, lovely! I also do a Nigella recipe, a pie with filo pastry, will try to find it on line.
Our peas are just finishing, most of the ones left will be dried for next years seed. :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2009, 09:15:14 pm »
you need to pollinated them

I think I'm too late they only seem to last less than 24 hours and i don't always notice they are open - I think 2 have flowered and closed already.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2009, 10:02:32 pm »
never done that, Linz! Always had a good crop up to now. 2 out of 4  plants have male flowers only,  :(

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2009, 12:34:53 pm »
OK back to the courgettes!! I can't keep up with them - having them every meal time.  Unfortunately I now have them the size of marrows as am not picking them all. My question is - are they marrows or just very large courgettes.  The largest so far is 17inches and 5inches across.  Will be down in the recipe section asking what I can do with them!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2009, 02:27:40 pm »
Split in half, scoop out middles, mix with onions, mince, carrots, fill up with mix, put in oven for an hour to roast. Yummy!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 02:30:25 pm »
I'm going to try that. My in-laws do similar with rice instead of mince if they are feeling veggie.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2009, 02:59:55 pm »
Haven't done it in a long while, but my kids and first husband used to love it!

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2009, 08:44:29 am »
Had my first ever self grown tomato the other day! was so sweet it was almost like strawberries!  Have some yellow hanging basket ones ripening but the ones in the raised beds (sub-artic plenty, so supposed to be fine outside) have all keeled over and dying. The toms are rotting on the vines without ripening.  Any ideas? My mums didi this too. The ones in the green house are romping away tho!

Also Red Duke of York spuds, runner beans, still mange tout and courgettes.  Flowers and baby fruit on aubergines, peppers, chillis and cucumbers.  These all went in a bit late as had probs with the green house but hoping to at least get a few of each before the weather gets colder.  No such prob next year tho!!!

Red cabbages, beetroot, onions, lettuce and sprouts coming along nicely.

Me carrots and sweetcorn have been a no go tho!!!  :( Well we live and learn.

:cucumber: :spud: :pepper:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2009, 11:42:37 am »
well done, TW! It's just been bad weather for some things. First time ever I have carrot fly, thousands of cabbage whites managed to escape my specless eyes when I covered them, so broccoli and cabbages have been eaten by others...Next year I'll put my glasses on!
Every year is different, so more luck then with stuff which failed this year, lol. I kept my toms under wee poly tunnels (strapped to the canes), as oputdoors was never worth trying here and they escaped the rot so far.  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2009, 11:37:35 pm »
The toms are rotting on the vines without ripening

Make green tomato chutney - bound to be a recipe on 'net. (Might have one here if you can't find it - Katy Stewart's book I think)  Delish!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS