Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rescue hens  (Read 9991 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Rescue hens
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2009, 12:20:43 pm »
Well done, on getting those goats turned round, and may they live many more years with you.  I have had goats live until they were 16 and 17.  I too have rescued animals here in the farm, and like you, think its worth it to give them as much time as they have left, in a happy, secure environment.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2009, 01:08:57 pm »
i totally agree that your doing the best for the hens. its just a shame that animals any kind are factory farmed. that includes the freedom ones. we have a flock of about a hundred mixed chickens and the very odd goose or 8 an two turkeys. i would find it cruel to do what the big companies would want you to do. they have fun wandering and expressing there natural behaviour.

most farms won't be like the ones that the animal lib lot show its politic to show the worst and make out the rest to be as bad. sick ill chucks don't make the farmer money. i still find it odd that you can class 2000 birds on a hectare as free range.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2009, 02:38:14 pm »
Yes, as well as the battery hen problem, I do have an issue with "free range".  Free range to me is being able to walk round a field when they want, but free range to the people who produce eggs for the large outlets, is completely different, and I do wonder if the public realise this.  They probably have an image of hens in a lovely large green meadow, when in reality they can come out of a pop hole into a small area, crowded with other hens, and go back in again!!!  I suppose it comes down to things like making a profit, and they need to cram as many free range hens on a small space as they possibly can.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2009, 03:07:31 pm »
it always is. even to small scale producers no profit no animals. what real got my goat was that ad for the so called free range hens the one that rides on a quad. when you google them you soon see the size of there units.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS