Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rescue hens  (Read 9992 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Rescue hens
« on: August 13, 2009, 11:05:33 am »
I am putting this on as a separate topic because I feel so strongly about it.  Just look at these photos of Scraggie Aggie and tell me you can't possibly ever adopt an ex-battery hen!  Or even just support the charities that rescue these poor creatures.  How can ANYONE allow a defenceless creature to get into this state - and she has even been with me for two weeks, so can you imagine what she was like when i got her? I've also out in one of the original ex batts I rescued last October to let you see the difference.  This is Gina and she was about the same size as Aggie but not in such a poor state.  By the way, 'm not pushing this because I'm employed by any rescue organisation nor at the moment do I help out on rescue days although I have offered.  I just feel very strongly about the cruelty!
www.bhwt.co.uk
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Rescue hens
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 11:31:10 am »
Annie, I totally agree.  10 days til we get our ex-batt hens!!
Nearly all of our animals are rescues of some description, the goats are from a commercial farm so were just 2 of 800, the cats are strays, the mad dog was neglected, even my husband was adopted!

What are the penalties for battery farms once the hens are removed?
Can they just go and restock?
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 11:40:10 am »
I think YES is the simple answer to that question.  Not only that but they get 50p per hen from the rescue trust, who only ask £1 per bird donation.  I usually give a lot more, and I gave them £20 for the last 8 I took,  four for Beth and Ally, and 4 for me.  At the moment Aggie is hiding from the other birds in the big run but she is safer there than with the other three I got.  She can go in and out of the pophole of the shed where I have left food and water for her.  I would think another three weeks and I won't be able to tell the difference between them all - they'll ALL be naked  ;D ;D  ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 11:48:28 am »
are the bat egg producers getting a profit from these rescues. i am just wondering if instead of doing the rescues it would be better to spend the time outlawing the intensive systems. if your aiding there margins even slightly then you are just going to end up with more hens. no question the rescued hens are happy but the system needs stopping.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:57:19 am »
The outrageous thing is that these big companies get away with it. I bet if the RSPCA came round to our house and saw just one of our birds in that condition due to our neglect we would be prosecuted!!!!

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 12:16:05 pm »
My friend, who is a farmer, told me that he delivers grain to a battery farm and they have 1.000.000 chickens in the (factory) yes that's one million! All under one roof.

sandy

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 10:10:44 pm »
Scraggy Anne is so cute!!! I have 2 scraggy ones ( I call hem both "wee Stevie 1 & 2" but they are getting better by the day, the first days, out of 7 rescue chickens they were definitely the worst, they were also VERY cocky and attacked other chicken as they went for food or into their shed so  I chased them away regularly, now I find I am more attached to them than the others, they run like hell and are very funny...tough little things but I hope they cope with the winter as the Ex Bats do not seem t ever go to bed till very late!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 11:04:43 pm »
Aggie has stayed inside all day - she is bone dry and all the others are absolutely soaking - so which one is the winner do you think - Aggie or the Bullies ;D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 11:16:21 pm »
As someone who goes into the battery farms, can I just add my view?

The farms the hen rescue for which I am a co ordinator uses are never in a really bad way - in fact the rehomers have all said they were surprised by how well the hens looked, they were expecting a lot worse.
sometimes they have a broken wing, or leg, but we keep those back, and try and make sure the rehomers get healthy looking hens.  They may be minus a few feathers here and there and  a little underweight.

I have been in the sheds to carry the hens out, and although I do not agree with the way battery hens are kept, I could not say anything about the way the hens were kept or treated at the farm.  The pens were not cramped, and the hens did not look poor.  They do get a bit stressed when they are pulled from the cages to be carried to freeedom, and sadly sometimes the outside world is too much for them, and they die.  For a brief moment you do wonder if they preferred it in the pens ....but even if they live for a day or a week, its nice for them to taste freedom.

You cannot get sentimental doing this job, we are on a tight schedule to get the hens out, crated and off round the country.  We are not allowed to comment on the hens, the state of the farm etc while we are there - .we are risking the good relationship with the farmer, and we rely on him to allow us back for the next rescue.

I know bad battery farms exist, its like anything else, but in all honesty I have not come across this while rescuing the hens.

I have seen some shocking pictures from other rescue organisations, and as someone who has a farm full of animals, many of which are rescued, it is really upsetting.

Hopefully before too long, we will not be needed to go into the farms, but until that day arrives I am happy to continue helping these lovely hens!!

Thank you to everyone who has helped by rehoming some of these hens - it means a lot to the volunteers when nice homes are found, and we do not have to leave any hens behind.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 11:27:54 pm »
I think with better publicity about the good things on keeping hens more people would take them.  I tell everybody I know about mine. I don't care if they never lay another egg so long s they are free and happy. Many people could have a couple of hens in their back gardens and fresh eggs every day, but they don't realise how easy they are to look after, and how friendly they are.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 11:37:15 pm »
You are right - more people do need to have the hens.  They worm their way into your heart with their ways, they are such little characters aren't they!!  I think people are sick of my speech on how they should have battery hens in their garden!!

The only thing is, we have rehomed some, only to have to have them back a few weeks later, when the new owner finds out that their garden is not quite as manicured as it once was when they have let the hens free range.  Sometimes they are not quite prepared for how much scratching a couple of hens can do.  But hey, the hens are happy, so a dug up lawn is nothing is it - its not the end of the world!!!

sandy

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 11:39:34 pm »
I realy enjoy seing my ex bats run free but, what they don't know dosn't harm them... They have  life with food and sleep few worries, no diffrent than people who sit inside all day watching TV being paid benifits

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 11:45:57 pm »
 :)  very true!!  I think even a small run in a garden on a small patch of grass, with the sun on their backs, must feel like heaven.

sandy

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 09:10:29 am »
After going into the garden to feed my chickens a thought crossed my mind, all those battery chickens are probably looking out at the rain (if they can see through the door) and maybe saying "glad we are in here, all that rain, I feel sorry for out door birds, having to work for their food, be outside in all weathers and worry about being taken by a fox or bird of prey!!!! no not for us".

Who keeps stealing my letters, >:( when I do a spell check a lot of letters are missing!!!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 10:02:53 am »
The farms the hen rescue for which I am a co ordinator uses are never in a really bad way - in fact the rehomers have all said they were surprised by how well the hens looked, they were expecting a lot worse.
sometimes they have a broken wing, or leg, but we keep those back, and try and make sure the rehomers get healthy looking hens.  They may be minus a few feathers here and there and  a little underweight.

roxy could you please tell me did you find the above or were they hurt in the rescue. if found with said broken bones they need reporting to animal health.

i am sorry but i find people running to rescue these hens as misguided. you helping support the system that you think you oppose. if you want hens get some that are well cared for and healthy. support the small breeder and this will end the caged bird system quicker. don't buy eggs from supermarkets and make sure of the one that you do buy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS