Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sneezing chickens...  (Read 6788 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Sneezing chickens...
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 10:46:52 am »
Our vet is useless! Will not let you have anything unless they see them and charge a stupid amount!

I'll buy it off you and pay postage! No they eyes haven't closed up, one does sit and close her eyes but its like she power naps

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 02:40:56 pm »
If their eyes appear fine then I don't think it's mycoplasma

Are they still sneezing? As much or less? Are they wiping their faces on their feathers? Is there a MINGING smell?  How many are affected?

It's 5 days since your original post, I think if it was mycoplasma, their eyes or at least one of them would be starting to close over. It almost looks like conjunctivitis.
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 06:17:07 pm »
They are still sneezing but I would say they are sneezing slightly slightly less. I haven't seen any wiping on feathers but there is no smell. There are two that sneeze, one more than the other. The one that is sneezing less is VERY underweight (I would think it is worms) and her face is very very pale, almost white.

The only thing I have noticed, the very sneezey one and one that isn't who is laying (both Bantam Rhode island red's) There skin around their eyes Have gone very red as well as the comb. Would you say that's just the breed, They were all very pale as in a dark stable with no light so maybe they are just getting colour or do you think its something wrong?

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 08:41:23 pm »
I'm no expert, but in my opinion i don't think it's mg so you shouldn't need tylan,
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 09:02:45 pm »
Thank you for all your help. I hope your right and I'll just have to keep a close eye on them

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 09:31:46 pm »
 :fc:

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 09:56:31 am »
One has a clear discharge from her nostrils today. Doesn't smell and is clear....

does this sound like myco?

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 12:55:49 pm »
Mmmmmmm keep a watch, it is in my experience yellow looking

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 01:04:58 pm »
Sounds like snot to me. A very respected vet I know is adament that hens often get colds and sniffles like we do, often resulting in stress from moving or contact with new birds. He says too many people reach for the anti-biotics or start culling for no good reason.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 01:19:40 pm »
I've got them going to the vets tonight.  If its a cold then good, no drugs needed and piece of mind. If its something bad then its being sorted!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 02:56:37 pm »
That's a welcome 180 about face form you post of the 11 th.

I know it's frustrating and sometimes expensive to take stock to the vet or to get a vet to visit .
I seem to recall that vets are bound by law not to prescribe without seeing the stock  so it can be confirmed what is wrong or in case of misuse of the prescription that  not only causes further suffering to the stock or prolongs it but also starts making for a new strain of the disease that wipes out the UK animal &/or human population .  ( Think MSRA and other drug resistant infections etc. )
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 06:32:05 pm »
Really glad I took them to the vet! Only £16.50 which is a plus too!  :thumbsup:

She thinks its just a "chest infection" and not myco. She was really worried about the skinny one so i'm glad I got them away from where they were. They start tylan tomorrow as they are ordering it in for me.

High protein to gain weight!

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2013, 06:45:12 pm »
Good , if nothing else piece if mind.  :thumbsup:

Good luck with measuring tylan,  :thinking:  if the dosage you get is 0.5 gram to 1 litre of water try this for measuring 1 small level teaspoon to 2 litres unless you have micro scales. Good luck :fc:

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2013, 07:07:36 pm »
Haha now you tell me!

I maybe wrong but I think she said it can go in the feed or water so feed may be easier.

Thank you very much Mojocafa you have been amazing throughout and have really been supportive!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS