Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sneezing chickens...  (Read 6787 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Sneezing chickens...
« on: October 06, 2013, 11:00:05 am »
I've been given 4 bantams by a friend of my OH. They were kept in a enclosed stable and it was rather dusty.  When we got them home and into there new home they were so excited, rolling in the grass as if its a dust bath eating the grass etc it was so lovely to see! They all look really good, clean and bright, clear nostrils and eyes, laying well but a few are sneezing. I've started them on a Flubenvet today as I understand that it covers Gapeworm which can make them sneeze.

The person I got them off said he has wormed them, given them vits in their water and got an antibiotic from the vet, so he believes its the dry and dusty environment.

I hope it is just the dust but has anyone else got any advice or ideas as to what it may be?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Sneezing chickens...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 11:05:35 am »
Mycoplasma?  Tylan in the water should fix it but they may always be carriers so keep them clear of any new stock coming in.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 11:48:14 am »
I think it may be stress, we often get new birds brought in sneezing for a while but they seem to stop after a while.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 07:20:07 am »
Ours sneeze if the bedding gets too dry and dusty. Respiratory infection follows if not addressed immediately. The bedding should be dust free because they will flap their wings in the coop and breath it all in.

Could be stress if the birds have been immunised or if they are carriers of Myco. Bubbles in the eyes are the clue there.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 07:41:55 pm »
What sort of bubbles in the eyes? Is it easy to see?

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 07:49:36 pm »
The bubbles in the eyes are very easy to see, just like soap bubbles.
Anne

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 09:10:24 pm »
You will know when it happens   :fc: that it doesn't

Check out this post

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=36265.0
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 10:06:05 am »
No bubbles here, I just hope its the dust and stress.

Thank you all for your replies, will keep you posted as to how I get on with them

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 02:07:56 pm »
Where do I get tylan from? I rung scats and they said they dont know what it is! What is it?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 02:58:45 pm »
It's a powder you add to their water.  Eggs aren't considered fit for human consumption while they're being dosed but OK once you stop.  Can get it online from places like Mole Valley Farmers.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 05:32:17 pm »
You can also get from vet
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 07:33:09 pm »
It's a powder you add to their water.  Eggs aren't considered fit for human consumption while they're being dosed but OK once you stop.  Can get it online from places like Mole Valley Farmers.
Just got some for mine and according to the label there is no withdrawal period for eggs.
Anne

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 08:42:10 pm »
When I was using it I had no egg withdrawal

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 09:09:11 pm »
On mole valley farmers it says you need a prescription?! how do I get one?

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 09:29:34 pm »
Just go to vet, you should get powder there and then. I still have some left, pity we are at opposite end of country, you could have had it.

Are their eyes starting to close up

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS