Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Finding a property in Scotland?  (Read 12687 times)

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Finding a property in Scotland?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2013, 10:18:00 am »
I hate midges.  What times of the year are they at their worst and when is it reasonably ok

We're in Moray - and we get midges in 2 sessions - June/July - usually when we're out in the fields pulling ragwort, and again in early September. They can be really bothersome in the right weather conditions - esp if there's no wind. But there are repellent sprays - we use Jungle Juice & that seems to keep them off. The midges are attracted by our livestock - we keep Shetland cattle, and poultry - there's often a cloud floating about near the hen houses.

Apart from that, Moray is great - friendly people, wonderful location - the beaches are clean with lovely fine sand, the rivers are glorious and a great place to see wildlife, and the mountains are stunning. All of this can be reached within about a 30 min drive from either of the major towns (Forres & Elgin).

The weather is usually OK - we don't get too much of anything - the Cairngorms stop most of the rain & snow getting here. But - it does snow here in April - proper, laying on the ground snow, and we often get a few snow showers in May. The summer days are long - there is enough light at 2am to watch the cows munching in the fields. The winter days are short - by 3pm the sun is disappearing. Temps are not too bad - some winters are cold - a well insulated house, and good outdoor clothing is a good idea. Summer temps are good - this year I think we had our first BBQ in May - yes I know the same month we had snow! It is said you can have all 4 seasons in the same day here - snow, light rain, brilliant sunshine and then strong winds.

Hope you find somewhere you'll be happy in.

Sue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2013, 10:57:26 am »
I agree, have always loved the Moray area.  Passed through many a time when we lived in Old Rayne and visited my sister in Inverness.  I really like Forres, lovely gardens and they have won awards for their planting schemes,
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2013, 03:36:36 pm »
Skye, wet n midgey n windy. However, due to the Gulf Stream there isn't a massive temperature delta.
Go to plokton, around 15 miles from me, and there are palm trees along the main street.
Seldom have snow at sea level here.

There's a 2 bed house near me with a few acres of croft for 130k and, as it has been on a while, you may even sneak in at 10% ish under that.

Things are distant mind. It does sound scary when Inverness is nigh on 90 miles away but, to be honest, we have found that you get used to it and, when compared to the traffic-snarled cities and suburban areas, we can travel the distances quicker than some travel a few miles. I was in Nottinghamshire last week and I was getting really fed up of the traffic, traffic lights, jams and tailbacks trying to travel just a few miles.......horses for courses.

good luck
Sskye

Rgds
Sskye

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2013, 03:51:20 pm »
So true southernskye, I lived in a village and it took me longer to go into town 9 miles away than it takes me to go 9 miles in central Scotand so in Skye, distance is all relevant. I hated driving around Nottingham, sometimes worked there and my husband went into the Queens medical center a few times....I detest traffic now.....A relation came up from London and said it take him 2 or more  hours to get home, he works in the city and lives in the city......

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 08:56:46 am »
And also there are seals and dolphins along the Moray coast.
There are some very pretty villages all along the Moray coastline, some are all winding lanes and look like Brigadoon, some are laid out on the traditional grid system - not so picturesque but better for parking up a motorhome overwinter.
If you want to rent out the property in summer then seaside places like Cullen would be ideal. Portsoy is a good combination of attractive and practical with a nice harbour and good for fishing. Portsoy also has the very popular boat festival every year.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2013, 09:37:46 am »
There are plenty of cheaper places in orkney and the rental prices are good. Its just the ferry can be pricey.

Be careful of buying a croft if you are travelling as they can take it off you if you don't live on it or farm it. But there are plenty of smallholdings that aren't credits. Croft land is usually in the highlands and west coast and will say in the property advert if it's a registered croft.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:58:19 am by shygirl »

lilfeeb

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Kinross-shire
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2013, 09:38:11 am »
You could try the  website www.greenshifters.co.uk a few properties in Scotland on it as well as other countries.

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2013, 11:23:17 am »
Rural Scene also have a few Scottish properties on their books - not sure if it still listed but they used to have a smallholding on one of the islands with approx 20 acres or so for sale at £120k - you just need to like wind !!!
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS