Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Finding a property in Scotland?  (Read 12705 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Finding a property in Scotland?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 02:09:38 pm »
£180? WOWOW, When I was looking for a property up here in Scotland I saw one for £200,000, I showed it to my husband as I was very impressed, he said it was OK...anyway, I sent an E Mail but got no reply, then I phoned and asked...someone had missed a few "0's" it was supposed to be 2 million..... :innocent:

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 05:10:58 pm »
There are still some real bargains in Scotland if you look hard enough. We are on Skye which can be  expensive unless you go for a croft, which is a good option if you are happy with the legalities around crofting.
Other than that Sutherland is still reasonable but remote!
Try HSPC or Remax for property searches.
The continent will come a very poor second to wild Scotland!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 08:27:07 pm »
What sort of thing are you looking for, DBE?  And what sort of a budget?

There were plenty of good Aurora nights to the east of Northumberland this last year.  I'm still wishing, myself... dang it, I'm always seeing shooting stars, why on earth hasn't it occurred to me to wish I could see the Northern Lights?!  ::) :idea: :dunce:   Next time...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 08:38:33 pm »
What do we think of WesterRoss as an area?

So many properties to look at my brain is spinning

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 08:51:08 pm »
Wild and woolly - well known for its spectacular mountain scenery, especially the Torridon Hills which includes such peaks as Beinn Eighe and Liathach.  I'm a born and bred and enthusiastic hardy Scots lass and I wouldn't live there for a pension. :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 08:56:20 pm »
Ummm that doesnt sound good.  I thought the climate might be a bit softer as long as the Gulf Stream stays true to course that is.  Isnt that were there are some interesting gardens with surpisingly tender plants.  Or is my Geography way off course? ::)

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 09:02:32 pm »
Forres and Nairn are in the gulf Stream - they've got lovely sands and gardens.  Won prizes.

Wester ross has it's own website - http://www.visitwester-ross.com/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 09:03:36 pm »
DBE - try the Moray Coast area down to Aviemore - lots of nice little properties and a whiskey trail to boot !

The weather is milder up here - 20 deg and sunshine today in Elgin, although when the winter is bad, its bad Im told ( not experienced one of these yet though )

Ive been working up here since moving jobs in February and will be properly moving up here in November.

So I guess I'm a little biased !!

Good luck with the search
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 09:06:04 pm »
I suppose Inverewe and Attadale gardens are classed as Wester ross - forgot about that - but takes forever to get there with the roads so windy and twisty.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 09:08:20 pm »
Bear in mind it depends on what you like best and what bothers you. I can't stand lots and lots of rain and midges but don't mind Cold and snow, so went for Aberdeenshire rather than the other side of the Cairngorms!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 09:09:42 pm »
Very true, I don't like rain or snow which is why I moved to the central belt, near the Ochils. 

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 09:17:06 pm »
DBE - try the Moray Coast area down to Aviemore - lots of nice little properties and a whiskey trail to boot !

The weather is milder up here - 20 deg and sunshine today in Elgin, although when the winter is bad, its bad Im told ( not experienced one of these yet though )

Ive been working up here since moving jobs in February and will be properly moving up here in November.

So I guess I'm a little biased !!

Good luck with the search

I hope that is meant to read as a dash rather than a minus or you really will put me off Scotland

Is it very wet and midgy on the west coast then.  I hate midges.  What times of the year are they at their worst and when is it reasonably ok

Off to check out where Aviemore  is - this is doing wonders for my Geography

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2013, 09:32:56 pm »
DBE, yep was definitely just a dash and not a minus !!

So far, the only time Ive seen or been bothered by midges was one very hot day in the summer when I was walking in a woodland near Knockando which is close to Aberlour.

I think that the sea air keeps the midges away - just my opinion though.

Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2013, 10:51:25 pm »
Well you only live once....take the bull buy the horns and go where your heart takes  you :wave:

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2013, 10:07:15 am »
West coast generally wetter and more midgey, north darker winters for longer and when weather hits it is serious but better prepared for.  Central belt a bit more suburby in places but some glorious open spaces if you travel a little further from Ed/Gla corridor.  Fife is obviously a great choice - stay centre/north for the best of it, south is ex-industrial or commuter suburban and east is tourist ridden and pricey but Cupar to the Tay is lovely and has great neighbours  ;)   Perth & Kinross is a good classic bet, covers a range of the above and well connected, avoid the overpriced bits and the too remote bits and anywhere else you'd be happy I reckon.

But the best way to find where you want is in your campervan, on a grand tour that goes round at least twice, once in high tourist/midge season and again in dead of winter.  Like both in any one area and start looking for properties!  I'd summer on the east coast as I hate tourist coaches and loathe midges but they love me.  I'd winter on the west because I love isolated stunning scenery and don't need to go out anywhere to be happy.  You get more daylight in the summer up north but a lot of dark and weather in the winter.  Borders and D&G you get the scenic without so much isolation but if weather hits you can be just as stuck.

Jump in the van and head north, you won't regret it - twice round Scotland and when you park somewhere and don't want to leave, don't!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS