Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: compact or full size tractor  (Read 8035 times)

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
compact or full size tractor
« on: October 04, 2013, 09:20:29 am »
thinking about the the 3 point linkage and cost of implements, which is the best to go for ?
lets assume  1 acre of veg plot, 1 acre of chickens & 1 acre of meadow with a further 5 acres coming in over the next few years.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: compact or full size tractor
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 12:29:00 pm »
I would say full size if you have normal sized fields not just half an acre of grass. Not much more expensive to buy if you get an older classic but not vintage eg 70s or 80s and you can use the standard attachments which are miles cheaper than compact ones. And they will do the jobs loads quicker! Eg a tiny fingerboard mower looks sweet but a normal sized 6ft plus topper will do it so much quicker and use lots less fuel.

About 75hp if you want to bale hay or use other very heavy kit like our 10 ft flail mower, but if you just want it for topping and harrowing etc anything from 25hp would be fine. We have. John Deere 1976 2030  75hp and love it!  Fully restored, she and two full size trailers and a haybob and Quicke front loader was less than 5k :-))

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 12:31:27 pm »
With a full size tractor 2nd hand implements are more plentiful and hence cheaper,  there are also more people you can borrow things off.

Some compacts are simply built to a poor standard and cost a fortune for spares if you can get hold of them.

Spares for MF, International and David Brown, John deere etc. are easily readily and cheaply available.

Common make old farm tractors were built for years of use on 100 acre farms,  using them on a few acres infrequently they will last for ever if you start off with a reasonable one.

Now... finding a reasonable one and knowing its good and what features you need is the tricky bit.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 12:36:43 pm by stufe35 »

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 12:33:52 pm »
The other advantage is old boys locally are often more than keen to help out with repairs and advice as they used a similar tractor when they were young. And they often like to be paid in a couple of notes and a bottle of whisky :-)

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 03:08:08 pm »
I'm convinced  :excited:

cotswoldfarmer

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 03:27:02 pm »
Big Kit action all the way. Seriously we had a 100hp MF when we had a 140 cow dairy unit and that was plenty so 75hp would be more than enough. One bit of advice dont get sucked in by farm sales (auctions) you ten to see thing sell for more money than they are worth.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 05:00:58 pm »
Well actually I did go to a farm sale and I bought a jd 2850 4WD I must say it's massive I paid 7200 for it, I have sold it on because it was just too big it was an 85hp but it's physical size was massive.
So I have seen a zetor 5011 a 1983 with 3000hrs a loader & bucket 2wd 52horse @ £3k ?????
An international 784 with loader not as tidy @ £3600
or theres an IN 444 on ebay 1972 50hp 2 days left

What do you all think ??

cotswoldfarmer

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 05:35:26 pm »
Hi Andyj

Whats your budget? If you dont mind me asking. If the Zetor will do the job that sounds ok to me.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 06:09:27 pm »
We are really fortunate that budget isn't an issue if we were having a compact I'd buy a new Kubota, but to be honest it will sit around not doing a lot so value for money is the key. So £3k ish just seemed right they seem tidy enough & I can't see how I'd lose much. I'm open to suggestions.
Main jobs harrow the log cabin site (I have a ride on mower) harrow the meadow, probably get a topper as it will be a bit quicker than the mower, we have 1/2 acre that needs harrowing/levelling then seeding for grass/formal garden. sorting out the veg patch (we will be selling produce) log saw, moving wood, moving soil, moving woodchip (we have 150 tonnes of soil to come in over 3 years & 200 cubic metres of stone) hence the front bucket, I have a mini digger.
Will need/want topper, rotavator, tipping trailer, fixed harrow, roller, log saw, splitter, wood chipper a hedge cutter wouldn't go a miss.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 06:53:01 pm »
If the Zetor is tidy enough then it sounds a good candidate, you can always walk away if it isn't as described.

Our JD is needing a small repair at the moment and it has made us realise just how much we use it and depend on it!!!

cotswoldfarmer

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 06:58:36 pm »
I would agree with you on the Kubota. That is a good shopping list. I just have a quick look on ebay see below. I think would be a good buy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tractor-Case-IH-840-S-wheel-loader-with-industry-/161120769848?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item25838bd738

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 06:06:39 am »
I went to the link but couldn't see a tractor & loader  ???
The zetor is really tidy, the best out of the lot looks wise, for sale at a car dealership he took it in px

cotswoldfarmer

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 09:24:14 am »
Haha thats brilliant. Does it come with a garage warranty?

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 04:56:38 pm »
He said he through a free valet in, garage warranty not worth the paper its written on unless its written on toilet roll then it be worth every penny  :roflanim:

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 11:22:21 pm »
The Zetor is a tidy one - was looking at that myself but toooo faaar away for me
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS