Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Campervans parking whilst renovating property  (Read 3511 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Campervans parking whilst renovating property
« on: October 03, 2013, 02:03:51 pm »
Hi all - bit vague about this, but I think you can use a caravan as ancillary accommodation to a home?

So presumbably this applies to campervans?

If a property is non-habitable or maybe barn are there specific regulations?  And are they any different in different parts of the UK ie England Wales Scotland N. Ireland?

ie could I buy a barn or a house which needed work and live on site in a campervan?

Exploring all the options at present  :eyelashes:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: Campervans parking whilst renovating property
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 02:24:42 pm »
I believe that if you have planning permission for a dwelling and you nee to stay onsite while the dwelling is being built your allowed upto five years with a caravan.

As a camper is mobile (and therefor not connected to any services, as long as its within the boundary of the 'house' you wont need permission at all)

Best thing to do is not enquire to any official at all and suck it and see.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 03:36:09 pm »
I agree with Bazzais, as long as there aren't 20 of them looking like a campervan business it should be trouble free, even more so than with a caravan. However a caravan would give you more space....

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 08:27:50 pm »
Not sure if its different rules in different areas or not but a friend is living in an old Swift Kontici at the moment while they renovate an old barn.
They where told planning was not needed as it was mobile
Graham

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 11:20:22 pm »
England wales your allowed caravan/camper personally i'd go for caravan as you'll get one for 500-1000 where as you use more than 1000 in wear and tear on a camper

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 09:59:06 pm »
Yes - just park it up and if any offical does venture out to see you pleed ignorrance and go from there. Beware - I am told winters can get a bit cold in a van. :(
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 09:32:47 am »
Thanks MAK - will have to see what the next weeks birng - if it all goes ahead too quickly I may have to rent anyway as an easy option, if if doesn't the the winter will be spent here and remarket in the spring when the London property price boom has spread a bit

I am still looking for motorhome and also lots on internet research for property in France and Spain, and  Scotland and Irleand too

I was trying to look for somewhere that is nice and also within about 30 mins or less of the sea as being good holiday let potential

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS