Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A Grand Day Out  (Read 15988 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: A Grand Day Out
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 07:46:45 pm »
It was a great day, and thank you very much to the organisers to split the goat kid classes!
Really glad you had a good time.  :thumbsup:

One disappointment though was the lack of any artisan food producers who last year sold fantastic lunchtime fare... where were the wild boar burgers, or speciality sausage hot-dogs, or even just the proper coffee (van)man... So lunchtime was a bit limited to the usual food on offer at agrishows, and only one icecream van -there are quite a few really good ice cream makers in the Borders and Dumfriesshire... but that's just a wee gripe
Please tell us through the Festival feedback form if you have the time:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=37854.0

We'll be collating all of the feedback and reviewing it internally and with the venue.

As Karen says the food was an issue for us too, and we're working on a solution for next year. All feedback helps.  :)

The challenge is that almost all of the large markets have catering contracts. Anyone who was at the Taste of Grampian event at Thainstone this year might have wondered why with such a fabulous range of food producers in attendance the only hot food you could buy was from vans - it was due to the same issue.  :(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 09:28:14 pm »
Is it always going to eb at Lanark from now on then?  Not swinging with Forfar?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 10:06:47 pm »
Ohhhhhh, I just love swinging in Forfar  :roflanim:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 10:26:25 pm »
Wish I hadn't read all of these comments. I am so jealous.com

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 12:01:55 am »
I had a fabulous day too, though its always a really busy day. I'd love to be able to be everywhere at once!

Everyone worked very hard, and for me I didn't see everything that every person does, but (after Dan, Karen and Rosemary obviously) I thought Andrew and Martin in particular did a fantastic job. I think you should promote both of them Rosemary!

I do have feedback (on different topics, some of it picked up from other people). My mum had a good day out too, she met 2 people who kept goats years ago that she knew, one of whom had come down from Strathpeffer! She said she felt she had more time to talk to people than at other shows.

My show was made by the scruffy chicken I pulled out of the hen house actually winning first prize! That was better than my goat winning the championship I think.  ;)

Annie, didn't realise you were there, I'd have come to give you a hug!  :hug:

Beth

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 01:13:03 am »
It was a great day and completely exhausting, but so worth it.  It's so short a time ago that the 'shall we have a Scottish Smallholders event?' question was raised, and look at it now  8)   Two shows under the TAS belt and already it's an established event.   Then to realise it's all run by volunteers - it's truly amazing.   I loved seeing all the redcoats busily keeping things on track, as well as all the stewards in their boiler suits.   Well done every one and well done all those who travelled so far to get there.  I wonder who had the longest journey.  Brucklay told me it took her 5 hours each way.  I wonder if anyone came further than that?   (It took us less than 20 mins to get there - I feel almost ashamed at our lack of effort  :-[ )
So a huge 'well done' to all of you who made the show happen and made it run so smoothly.  The rest of us can only imagine the effort and time you gave to enable us all to have such a good and valuable day out.   Thank you all  :notworthy:

I just wish I had had more time to look around the rest of the show and to get to some of the demos.    :fc:  I will be there next year but without sheep so I can wander around to my heart's content.

Mr fw and I felt there were a couple of issues worth sorting, especially if the show is at Lanark again next year, mainly to do with signs.   We have already mentioned some to Dan at the show, and will fill in the form at some point too.   Obviously it wasn't a problem for us to find the event, but others did comment to us that there were no signs on the road to direct folk who don't know the town.  Dan has explained that finances are involved here, and just what the Council will allow  :(  but I think it's worth investigating further what is and isn't possible.
The other signage problem we felt was for those unfamiliar with the mart, especially those who have never been to any mart, in other words members of the general public.   We rarely had time to venture out into the front foyer, but we felt there were far more people there than seemed to find their way through to the penning areas.  It's not all that obvious really where you need to go and how to operate all those gates and avoid ending up stuck in a pen  ::)   We thought some BIG signs to show the way, and maybe horse tape (or bread crumbs  :innocent: ) to mark a route through the pens would help for next year.  Also perhaps red coats moving people through and publicising the stands and stalls which were through there.   I suppose the mart might not be happy with us putting up giant signs, but it's worth discussing.
I put this on here rather than only on the comments form to see what the rest of you think?  You need to put yourself in the position of someone who's never been to a mart before and doesn't want to make an eegit of themselves.

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 04:07:12 pm »
I think it will need a bigger venue than lanark forfar with good food like thainstone lanark was full next time there will be more trade stands .people was susing it out some of the sterling lot were there .just a thort

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 07:25:52 pm »
people was susing it out some of the sterling lot were there .just a thort

UA or Caley?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 11:32:44 pm »
I've not been in the UA mart, but the Caley is way too small and pokey for the festival
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 06:29:43 am »
Caley marts have got planning permission in for a tesco's and if they get it they are building a new site on the edge of stirling somewhere - think permissions just in so might be a while

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 10:29:48 am »
Much more pleasurable and calm than the hysterical auctions.  Agree with the above comments (and on the food stalls) but would have liked to have seen the stick making and the like in a central area so that 'passers by' could view it informally.

Nice to meet Claire (Brucklay) at last and Big Light.  Would like to meet more of you - we need a light bulb or something for next year  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

HappyHippy

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 01:55:11 pm »
would have liked to have seen the stick making and the like in a central area so that 'passers by' could view it informally.
We did it in a more informal way like you suggest Amanda last year in Forfar. Unfortunately it was almost impossible for the speakers to be heard above the general 'hubbub' of the day and so we took the decision to move them into the conference room at Lanark to try and make it a better situation for speakers and audience alike. We're still collating feedback so will wait to see what we're going to do next year depending on everyone's thoughts  :innocent:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 05:47:11 pm »
I asked before but got no answer - is it going to be Lanark again next year?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 05:57:59 pm »
I asked before but got no answer - is it going to be Lanark again next year?

Don't know yet - we'll take some time to review the feedback on Lanark, look at what other options we have, and then make a considered decision.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 07:22:34 pm »
stick making and the like in a central area so that 'passers by' could view it informally.

Do you mean the craft competitive classes, Amanda, as opposed to the talks?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS