Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A Grand Day Out  (Read 15983 times)

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
A Grand Day Out
« on: September 28, 2013, 06:48:47 pm »
Just got back from the show and wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who contributed in making it a grand day out, with an even bigger thank you to Rosemary for her fantastic efforts in getting everyone together and organising everything so well.

Already looking forward to next year.

Many thanks All.

Mark, Kirsty & Macey
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
Re: A Grand Day Out
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 07:21:07 pm »
Totally agree, fab day out and a perfect show
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Min

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 07:57:53 pm »
I just had a brilliant time. I saw some apples being pressed and drank the juice, got to try milking a goat which was brilliant experience even though I couldn't do it with my right hand and developed a love for four-horned Hebrideans.  :love: Guttingly my camera memory card developed a fault when the hebs were in the ring looking properly magnificent. Also saw lots of other gorgeous animals and spoke to lovely owners, seller,  spinners and fruity people.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 08:05:03 pm »
Sounds fab, didn't make it due to child related chaos, but will definitely be there next year. Well done Rosemary and team.

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 08:16:32 pm »
Ooops - Thanks to Dan as well, of course.

Regards

Mark
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

doreen

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 09:18:14 pm »
Thanks Rosemary for a great day. The event was well organised and very interesting, lots to see and do. We had lots of visitors to our Dexter stand ,plenty of interest in the cows. Thanks to all your helpers too. Doreen and Dominic.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 10:23:04 pm »
Yip had a great time learned a wee bit about pigs today, most impressed by Hebridean wool lady, the Castlemilk Moorits, the Black Welsh mountains, and lots of others to many to mention. Met some wonderful people, I am knackered but today has fired up my enthusiasm and given me loads of ideas. How lucky am I.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 10:33:00 pm »
Good day nice wether fantastic stock well done

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 10:53:37 pm »
Thanks to Carol (fifesmallholder) I was able to come along and sit at the Central Scotland Smallholders stand.  met a lot of lovely people. and just had  a wee wander round the stack hall, and manged to watch a class of sheep being judged.  Pleased to see Archie and Fiona get 3rd and 4th in  what i thought was a strong class.  Only there because I wasn't well enough to travel south for my club weekend, but I think the dates are different next year so I am hoping to be there for the whole day.  Another fine Festival, well done Dan and Rosemary.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 12:43:59 pm »
Glad you all enjoyed yourselves - but Dan and I are cogs in a wheel.

Karen (happyhippy) was utterly awesome - I don't know how she does it - as well as running the Garden, Craft and Kitchen section, she did the Large Black and Kunekune breed society stands, had her sister selling nettle cordial and soap on her own stand and never stopped smiling (well, almost never  ;D ).

Bruce (HHs OH) on the pigs, Andrew on the poultry (he's being promoted next year), bigchicken - what a guy; bloomer and Nat in the demo areas; Sue (Cheviot), in demo and on the prizegiving, Tina (mintytwoshoes) and her OH, Martin, Claire, Beth (ballingall) - goat steward extraordinaire and she also had time to win the goat Championship  :trophy: , Mandy (milly molly), Cath (tiva diva) in the office, Drew Dougans on tickets, and Alan and Martin in the tradestands and office and everywhere.

You were just all wonderful - we couldn't do it without you and we wouldn't want to  :thumbsup: :hug:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 01:23:29 pm »
 :wave: had a fab time. Great to meet mr and Mrs Bloomer and fab family ( ESP big son  :thumbsup: ) and HH with her lush nettle juice and cakes  :yum:
Came looking for Doganjo but couldn't see her  :wave: sorry I couldn't find you.
Bumped into Rosemary almost literally as she came out from the tannoy room  :wave:
Notices SITN hiding behind a large fleece, too late I saw you  :roflanim:

Who is the big chap in combats?? Seen you at auctions too. Must be a TASer surely  :thinking:

Spent lots of time ogling over the rylands and Jacobs   :love:
Spent too much money in the hall and came home with some good ideas after time in the demos.

Thank you all who were involved  :trophy:

All in all a fab day  :excited:

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 01:42:06 pm »
I can only agree with everyone else! My son and I had a great day yesterday and we're delighted to bring home a couple of red tickets with our hens. We're already looking forward to next year. Lanark market was a great venue too.
Well done to all envolved, everyone was very helpful and welcoming.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 05:51:14 pm »
It was a great day, and thank you very much to the organisers to split the goat kid classes!

One disappointment though was the lack of any artisan food producers who last year sold fantastic lunchtime fare... where were the wild boar burgers, or speciality sausage hot-dogs, or even just the proper coffee (van)man... So lunchtime was a bit limited to the usual food on offer at agrishows, and only one icecream van -there are quite a few really good ice cream makers in the Borders and Dumfriesshire... but that's just a wee gripe

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 06:24:00 pm »
One disappointment though was the lack of any artisan food producers who last year sold fantastic lunchtime fare... where were the wild boar burgers, or speciality sausage hot-dogs, or even just the proper coffee (van)man... So lunchtime was a bit limited to the usual food on offer at agrishows, and only one icecream van -there are quite a few really good ice cream makers in the Borders and Dumfriesshire... but that's just a wee gripe

I've got to admit it was disappointing for me too, smallholding is so much about producing wonderful food, be it fresh eggs and vegetables or lovingly reared meat/dairy products - I would have loved to have had them all there like last year (and there were plenty of willing would-be stallholders with a staggering array of artisan products)
Unfortunately due to catering arrangements already in place, Lawrie & Symington do not allow any external food vendors to operate in the market  :-[  In order for it to happen there, it had to be that way.
But your comments are noted Anke  ;) and we will be feeding back to L&S after we've gather all the info.

I just want to say thank you to everybody. Everyone who visited, helped, (hugged or gave me a hard time  ;)) smiled and enjoyed the day, all the exhibitors and their wonderful animals and produce - YOU make the Festival what it is, we couldn't do it without you  :-* :-* :-*
I am pooped today.....my body aches and I feel drained (maybe because I cleaned out my big shed earlier when already feeling rough  ::)) the aches will fade, but the smile won't - it was a great day and I can't wait for next year.
Let the organising commence  ;D ;D ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 06:43:27 pm »
Lovely day, lovely atmosphere, lovely people, lovely livestock  :excited: ;D :spin:

Because I needed to collect a spinning wheel that Rosemary was couriering for me (thanks again Rosie :-*), I was sitting on a bench knitting at the very end, as the last bits of clearing up were happening.  So I can also report that the Mart staff loved it too - one came to me to comment, "25 minutes after closing, and they've picked up every last bit of litter."  She looked awed and very happy.

Maybe they'll want you back so much they'll help you get creative on the fresh food / produce for next time..  ;)   Just saying... :innocent:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS