Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sudden death???  (Read 2324 times)

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
sudden death???
« on: September 27, 2013, 07:01:18 am »
just found one of our 5 week old cornish crosses dead in the pen. i could see a bit of blood around where its vent was but couldn't see a cut so presume it's poo. When i picked it up quiet a lot of fluid came out its mouth, another  looks a bit weak? i'm worried that it'll spread.

any suggestions?
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: sudden death???
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 07:59:52 am »
not sure from description but it might not hurt to shove some coxoid down them if you have some to hand-if not then get something from vet pronto. any signs of blood/linings in the poo at all?

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 03:59:13 pm »
sorry what is coxoid please? I think there was some blood in the poo but i found another dead just now, the one that was weak this morning, and i couldn't see any blood. All the others seem fine... at the moment?
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 05:12:01 pm »
Coxoid is for treating coccidiosis, a parasitic infection of chickens-young birds are very susceptible and it has to be treated asap as mortality is very high. Coxoid is not licensed for chickens so although you can buy it for other pet birds such as pigeons, so you should talk to a vet really.

if you google you will find lots of pictures of birds with coccidiosis and their droppings. I always keep some on standby when I have growers, haven't had to use it yet.

some more info
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/coccidiosis/index.aspx

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 10:22:03 pm »
Coccidiosis is what would spring to mind at that age. What are you feeding them? Lots of chick crumbs have coccidiostats in them which helps them through that very vulnerable stage although I'm sure it's not 100% prevention. Also what ground are they on? Helps to have young chicks on fresh ground - in a run you can move around or something - because it tends to be endemic in areas that adult birds have lived.

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS