Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead ex batter  (Read 1364 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Dead ex batter
« on: September 29, 2013, 08:44:14 am »
Ones been off colour all week, eating but fluffed up and just standing there.  I didn't know because I don't see them in daylight except at weekends but a friend does.  When I saw her yesterday morning I fed her honey sultana's an egg and oats... which she ate a bit off.  I put her in a cat basket last night deep in straw but within sight and sound of other roosting hens.  This morning, she's dead. 

Not egg bound, crop was fine, just something overran her.

Ex bat of about 6 months.  Other seem fine, just put it up to experience?

I've cleaned all the cages again.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Dead ex batter
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 09:21:52 am »
Wher there's livestock - there's deadstock. It happens. Like you say, I would put it to experience. You did all you could, as it's not worth going to the vet with one hen. So unless the others start dying off, which is unlikely after 6 months, I wouldn't worry.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 09:25:24 am »
Happens with ex bats I'm afraid - they are in a cocooned environment for all their lives till you rescue them at about 18 months - she may have been older.  Then they can succumb to any bug that's going.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 09:57:01 am »
 ..... and it happens to other poultry too, not just the ex batts.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS