Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Injecting Pigs  (Read 3655 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Injecting Pigs
« on: September 25, 2013, 09:24:01 pm »
Our new sow went lame last week and on Monday it was bad enough to need antibiotics on vet's recommendation. No sign of a wound but we had to do something. Anyway, assumed she would be fine like weaners have been but NO!

She was not impressed but eventually I managed to get most of it and some metacam in her bum. She was a bit better today but needs more however there is no way she is going to let me. We tried a crush but can't get her in. Any advice? She is a large OSB. A friend has an injector gun which allows long range injecting if she can find it. I still have to worm and Ery/parvovirus vaccinate as well

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Injecting Pigs
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 09:53:18 pm »
I use a Masterject.....not cheap, but well worth having one if you're a pig keeper.   You can stand 6' away and inject safely.
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 10:00:21 pm »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 10:28:18 pm »
 :wave: masterject would not be without ours.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 10:31:02 pm »
I tried a Masterject a while ago, but the syringes kept exploding. What was I doing wrong? Also, how do you load the syringe? It doesn't seem very easy when the syringe is fitted to the gun.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 12:15:35 am »
Unlike the video, I find the slapshot very difficult to use - air bubbles in the tube, and you have to get right up to the pig in the first place and get the needle in.    On the other hand, I've found the masterject a godsend, especially for pigs that always keep a flight distance between you and them and rush off the moment you are seen to be approaching.  Haven't found loading the syringe a problem, but always try and keep each dose 8 ml or lower, ie 2 jabs if they need more than this.   If there is too much liquid in the syringe it is a big problem getting it all through the narrow needle in one blast, even with a 14 gauge.   [size=78%]   [/size]

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 12:29:34 am »
Thanks, Virginia. Very helpful. Hope all is well with you x

www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 10:14:33 pm »
Borrowed a friends injector. To clear the air from tube, detach after first fill, point upwards and squeeze just enough to remove air and draw in more liquid. Re-attach tube and this should resolve air issue. It was brilliant, stood next to her slapped needle into side of bum and injected. She didn't bat an eyelid.

Definitely going to buy one from Supplies for Smallholders.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 09:13:36 pm »
I could do with one of these gadgets as the OH is needle phobic and I inject her every sunday morning when she comes home for the weekend. I like the "slapper". :roflanim:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Clive

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Precious Porkers
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 03:48:00 pm »
Are either of these products suitable for sub-cutaneous injecting? I'm thinking they are ideal for  antibiotics and other intramuscular jabs but not sure about ivomectin and other sub-cut injections?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS