Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: caravan with woodburner  (Read 12887 times)

woodlandmarc

• Joined Sep 2013
caravan with woodburner
« on: September 25, 2013, 02:56:54 pm »
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but thought this might be a great place for advice!

For th past few years my partner and i have lived in our touring caravan working on different farms and caravan sites, due to the price of gas and electric, early this year we fitted a wood burner, now this is a properly certified Salamander Stoves Hobbit, and it has been fitted with proper fireboard etc.

due to the ill health of my partner we're in a position where we're having to sell the caravan, but i've talked to some of the mainstream caravan dealers and they've all basically said it's unsafe!

Obviousley i need to reach sellers who will appreciate the caravan with the wood burner, but i have no idea where to start, so was hoping some people on here might be able to point me in the right direction.

It would be such a shame to have to remove it all, especially as it's so warm when it's on!

Any ideas please?

???

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: caravan with woodburner
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 03:19:28 pm »
They are probably talking cod shite.

Its as safe as the person using it, provided you get a carbon monoxide alarm and its fitted in a way where its not going to catch the caravan on fire or any of its furnishings there is no danger at all really.

Health and safety is so so so strict these days that some things are easier to do with common sense in mind rather than legislation.

Tried to get someone to come and fit a stove in our ingle nook - the guy said I would have to have all kinds of liners and metalwork done to stop the chimney catching fire.  I asked if he meant the same chimney that has been here for 250 years with no liner and an open fire under it.  The same fireplace that had a huge wooden tree going over the top that has not even had a scorch mark for its entire life.

The stove in the front room had to also be fitted on the side cos they wanted to put an air brick in the wall - the wall is 2 1/2 foot thick for starters and there is no chance that the fire will be so intense that a huge vacuum is created by the said stove and start feeding back fumes into the house.

I think if you just tape over the fire with a 'not tested' label you should negate any further action from anyone you sold it too.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 03:23:49 pm »
This might be a good place to sell your caravan as its a nomadic living section of a forum, I don't think anyone on there will sniff at a safe but non signed off wood burner

http://www.ukhippy.com/stuff/forumdisplay.php?f=50

woodlandmarc

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 03:33:38 pm »
Thanks for the fast and positive replies, I got on a bit of a downer after speaking to some of the caravan places, they made out like i was living in a death trap!

The stove, surround and flue are all e marked and the whole thing has been checked by a corgi registered gas inspector, so i know it's safe, i mean, i've had the caravan at 29 degrees and there is no heat build up on the surrounding walls as they're lined with fireboard.

The annoying thing, is that there's not really any legal requirement for fitting a wood burner in a caravan, it's totally different to a house where you have building regs, but in a caravan it's more of a grey area.

It was such a long labour to get fitted and has been so worth it when it's been cold!

It's nice to know some people still appreciate common sense over health and safety rules!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 04:11:46 pm »
I can understand why the caravan shops won't touch it.......... so don't sell it through them! There are loads of people who would go for a nice caravan with a wood burner in it though.

How about an Ebay classified for instance?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 04:16:08 pm »
iv fitted one last week no problem .solare panels and stoves are a must with the cost of electricity

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 04:34:40 pm »
Gumtree maybe?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 05:01:08 pm »
you can also stick an advert on here in the marketplace, don't forgget to include where you are in the listing please!!!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 05:13:48 pm »
I actually fancied a motor home that was an Ex ambulance that had a log  burner in, that was on E Bay...I can see a motor home being a tad risky if you drive off with it lit :-J , but, health and safety is sometimes over the top these days, loads of people I know have sheds with log burners in. Just find any place where you can post free small adds, Pre loved, Gumtree, Sun Local, Ad trader ( not sure that's still going) Exchange and mart etc etc and some one (like me) will snap it up at the right price....

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 08:30:19 pm »
Hi a woodburner in a caravan doesn't meet the british standards for the caravan, and unless you are british standard assured your fitting means the caravan can not be sold as a caravan. the other issue being it can't be signed off by an engineer and therefore if you sold it as is and there was an accident you would be criminally liable.
We have one in our caravan and our insurance company will not insure us at all. 4 inch stone base 4.5m2
15mm fire board, ceiling double boarded
The fire is worth more than the van

woodlandmarc

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 04:09:16 pm »
Thanks for the replies, we did actually investigate the legal issues, and there were a few grey areas, it comes under  BS CP 6762-2:1991 In Caravans

There are similar rules for wood burners on boats too.

But like a lot of people who live for long periods in their vans, common sense will always come before H&S rules, and if i thought it was unsafe, it wouldn't have been fitted.

I suppose i'll have to advertise it as an eco wagon!

;D

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 08:35:37 pm »
quick question where is it ????????????
How much do you want ????????????
what is it ?????????????????

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS