Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wind Turbine - lease option ?  (Read 4553 times)

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
Wind Turbine - lease option ?
« on: September 23, 2013, 09:50:46 pm »
HI there,

Was just wondering if anyone in SCotland has had any experience regarding wind turbines provided free but you get the benefit of any electricity generated with the wind turbine company getting the benefit of the feed in tarrif ?

On the face of it, it seems like a good compromise, although Im mindful that if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is !!

Any feedback welcomed

Many thanks
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Wind Turbine - lease option ?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 07:32:42 am »
We wanted one, but are too close to neighbouring properties.  :(

Contact the R&A Group - http://www.ragroupltd.co.uk/ - very reputable, they have been the main sponsors of the Scottish Smallholder Festival the past two years and we know them well.

If you're at the Festival on Saturday - http://www.scottishsmallholdershow.co.uk/ - you can meet them there.

HTH.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 08:33:07 am »
i was told to do that by a visiting council EH ! - but then i heard they restricted the planning permissions. that was a couple of years ago now tho. i dont suppose a EH would have much influence on the planning team  :roflanim:

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 06:45:30 am »
In many cases these arrangements work perfectly, though in this case I would do a little more investigation, R and A group have only been going since the feed in tariff boom, where will they be when it falls away ?
On google they state they where established in 05 although companies house state 2008  :thinking: one of their companies has been going since 05 but not the group nor the renews
You could always look for a company that have been around for a while, also a limited company that is a "group" should list their group holding I am unable to find this, I have checked companies house, no association there, their co's are r&a renewables, r&a electrical services, & r&a systems (Scotland), I would be looking into the small print to who owns the turbine as I'm pretty sure it won't be them.
I personally wouldn't touch this company, I would look for an established, reputable company.
THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 07:39:44 am »
Also I would check out what happens when or if you want to sell the property. Does the free electic continue or is it personal to you, otherwise the turbine may devalue the house if new owner gets no benefit but is stuck with it. I'm sure it would Be transferable and all fine but I'd want to check, and also any admin feeds relating to that etc.

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 05:08:11 pm »
 Thanks everyone for the replies.

The company I was talking to had a stand at the Keith Show last month and are based in between Huntly and Banff, although I havent got their details to hand as they are back home in Lancashire - they had the usual glossy brochures etc but I kinda liked the fact that they were 'local' rather than being based in the big smoke somewhere.

I'll be home at weekend so will pick the documents up and post again with their details to see if any has specific experience of them, both good and / or bad.

All the best

Mark
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 06:19:31 pm »
I bumped in to a man who lived in an isolated spot  but near and he was saying he could get money for putting one on his land, he only has a small house size plot but isolated so worth a try, I was impressed. ::)

danielh

• Joined Oct 2013
  • KY15 5QJ
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 12:26:25 am »
Be wary of the small print on this. You will get free electricity but will still have to pay for electricity on non windy days which includes frosty mornings in winter. Much better if you can finance and take the feed in tariff yourself for the better economic return.

How big a turbine was being proposed?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS