Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farm names.  (Read 9532 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Farm names.
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 09:24:54 pm »
You don't know me either, it was changed by previous residents and I wouldn't have changed it, I'd have milked the name for all it was worth
:roflanim: :roflanim:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 01:48:55 am »
Dale camping
 Holiday Intent

Bakewell Pitch ( camping and caravanning ?? )

Gateway Camping

The Green escape

"  Brown's "  Bower ( or " whatever your surname is " )

Freshare camping
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 08:00:24 am »
Our old house was called Longcarse - some wit (prior to us buying it) had changed the old sign to Pong arse  ;D

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 09:35:09 am »
some great ideas so far.

The farm as we call it was bought by us last year, it was part of a farm that was split into several lots. There is 4 separate properties where the original farmhouse was and they all have variants of the original name, for this reason I want to name ours something completely different to avoid confusion.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 05:38:21 pm »
try not to name it too similar in appearance to another farm, even if they are pronouced very different. we are in this situation and often get mail for another farm and vice versa, and we are a good mile away. i think the postie just has a quick glance and doesnt even look at the addressee or postcode.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 05:55:31 pm »
Good point shygirl, we still get post for Tower Hotel as we are Tower House....the hotel has long gone. We stayed on a farm in a cottage, that was very confusing for any services as the  3 cottages all had the same address just no 1, 2 or 3 and it was a night mare.....took ages to get our phone connected as a Lady in one of the other cottages was well known to the police and had loads of unpaid bills.
Maybe some mixture of your names.....like we are Sandra and Stephen so you could have sand hen farm, or stephra farm...get the idea.... :innocent:  or even an annogamme

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 10:46:50 pm »
Ecotopia

Green Leaf Farm

Rustling Leaves
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 12:25:38 am »
What types of tree do you have in the woods? I love tree names in places: Ash Farm, Hazel Wood Farm, Oak Hills, Chestnut Vale, Cherry Orchard House, Plum Tree Farm, you get the general gist. I'm sure it stems from me reading 'The Children of Cherry Tree Farm' as a child. So just find some trees - or plant them if necessary - pick out a natural feature and combine.

Having said that, I'm struggling with ours because we're Court Lodge, used to be Court Lodge Farm, so that's an established name but there's a Court Lodge in practically every village in Kent (if not England). So not sure whether to try and invent something new for the business name or just live with what we've got. Our friends live in Bog Farm which they were keen to change when they moved in but have now grown in to!.

H

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 12:44:57 pm »
ile be naming mine Jaspers ... a nickname i required one night in a drunken state  :roflanim:

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 03:18:52 pm »
I just want you all to remember that each and every time I post on TAS, I'm speaking to you live from the Hairy Hole. :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 09:48:23 pm »
 :roflanim:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 09:52:10 pm »
Bodger, if you give that address to a policeman they may well think you are taking the p....so funny Bodger from Hairy Hole..love it, actually envious......

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 01:17:14 am »
Bodger, if you give that address to a policeman they may well think you are taking the p....so funny Bodger from Hairy Hole..love it, actually envious......

Seconded !
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 07:08:39 am »
Bodger was a policeman in a previous life.........I haven't a clue whether he sported a 'tache at any point..... ;) :sunshine:

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 07:42:19 am »
No never. I'm only five foot seven and a bit tall, so a tash would have made me look like a yard brush. ::) ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:00:02 am by Bodger »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS