Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farm names.  (Read 9533 times)

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
Farm names.
« on: September 23, 2013, 01:16:11 pm »
Hi All.
I'd like some ideas from you on what to call our farm. Its surrounded by woodland so my first thought was woodside farm. then I googled it and found it to be a very popular name already. In the future we would like to open up part of the land for camping etc and other ideas so we would need a name that would look good on an advert or website.
So. Lets here what you have and the winner gets a free nights camping.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Farm names.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 01:37:20 pm »
if you hoping to run a business from it then i would look on the trademark direct website. we couldnt get our farm name trademarked so had to change it slightly. we were wanting to go the camping route and we selling meat so it was important we had the trademark for business reasons. just chose an easy spelling or people will get lost on google.

have a look at the land maps, we have 2 areas  on our land that already have cool names. or go with the native  language names, they are usually nice.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 01:45:37 pm »
Do a google search for places around the area, think if you are going camping you may put something like "camping in Yorkshire or the Dales" then they come up on google, nothing hard to spell or pronounce but yes, I so agree with shygirl...something that reflects the area and gives a feeling for where you are....I would wright down as many names as possible, even the silly ones, that's how I would do it then cross out or expand on the ones you have...we already have a name for our new house :innocent:   where are you?

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 01:55:06 pm »
 Thanks for the ideas. we're just outside Bakewell in derbyshire.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 02:23:07 pm »
we're just outside Bakewell in derbyshire
well that gives me loads of ideas...Tarts farm camping  :innocent: .. Forest Camp farm, Bakewell and campwell farm  .errrr maybe not the sort of names you were after  but I know how stunning it is there.......what is the forest called? that could be an idea so something like  ????wood farm or ????forest view farm

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 02:45:59 pm »
Yes, check trademark and also website domains.. Avoid confusion and misbooking.

But at the end of the day however pretty and marketable a name, it has to connect to the land you are working or it makes no sense to me.  Look at named landmarks/woods/rivers on your land that aren't already in use as farm names locally.

What I don't get is if you have a farm, surely it already has a name..  ??? Should be on your RPID or IACS or whatever farm registrations go under, at least if it's agriculturally registered.  Even if it's "part something else" where a farm has been split, you can look at compass/map and call it East X or whatever the relevant direction, or Lesser X if it's a tiny part you've taken off a large farm, or look at local naming traditions and fit in to those.  Here you'll get Easter and Wester X rather than East and West, the original farm is X Mains or Mains of X.  If it doesn't have a holding number and farm ID already then you'll need one..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 02:47:57 pm »
I pass a cottage on the way to Madley and it's called Mildew Hall.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 02:48:30 pm »
building on happygolucky's idea ~

Tartview FarmGoogle it - no hits! So you could have tartview camping   :-J :innocent:

:excited:

or, how about:

Breakwell Farm.

~sounds like Bakewell, but for taking a short holiday?
   ...aparantly not new,  :(  there's a B&B and other places already called this on Google.

Breakwell Park - noone's called this..? Sounds more like Tart too.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 04:17:44 pm »
tartview camping
::)  surprise surprise, I love that :thumbsup:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 04:25:30 pm »
I would go for something simple which would show up on google searches well such as

Bakewell Woods Farm  - hence Bakewell Woods Farm Camping etc

PS I reserve the right to park my rv up for a stay with you should I be the lucky winner  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 06:24:09 pm »
Bluebell Farm.... everyone loves bluebells and you can plant some in the woods. ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 07:59:35 pm »
What was it called before?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 08:09:30 pm »
Our place is called Pwll Brwyn which when translated from the Welsh into English, means the rushy pool or hole. Its a big improvement on what it was called previously, which was Pwll Blew. Some of the older  locals still snigger when I say where I live, because this translates as the hairy hole. :roflanim:  This stems from a bygone age when it was the home of the village plasterer who used to mix horse hair in a small pool with lime to make his plaster. I can't quite understand why they think its so funny. :idea:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 09:04:33 pm »
Pwll Blew is so funny.......I would have kept it :innocent: but you know me, I would love a personal reg that's rude :-J

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 09:15:52 pm »
You don't know me either, it was changed by previous residents and I wouldn't have changed it, I'd have milked the name for all it was worth. :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS