Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Possible bloat in wether.  (Read 3277 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Possible bloat in wether.
« on: September 21, 2013, 09:34:42 am »
Hi guys. Does this sound like bloat to you?

Off food (usually VERY keen)
Laid down alot.
Not coming when called
Arching of back and curling of lip when got up (could just be stretching naturally I guess)
No pooing or weeing observed
Swollen tummy

This is in a 2010 wether sold to a friend in Yorkshire so too far for me to examine. These are the details she's given. She's got the vet coming at 11 to whom I suggest she mentions bloat. Is there anything else it could be. Dunstan is also on good quality hay (I believe ad-lib) as grass is scarce so I'm confused at him pigging out on that.

Really appreciated, thanks.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Possible bloat in wether.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 11:41:58 am »
the curling lip etc and lying down and getting up suggests a stomach pain of some sort, a colic.
If he's swollen, could well be bloat, also worth thinking about urinary blockage if he's not weeing as he's a wether as well.
Hope the vet can sort him out

Alicenz

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 12:37:56 pm »
Hi A, When my sheep have had bloat, it has been when they have gone onto new grass - after being on hay.  Sometimes their legs and feet are sore as well as their feet seem to swell a little. But it does sound a bit like bloat.  Id expect fast hard breathing as well, that is the main problem i think, that it puts pressure on the lungs and heart. And could he have got into any food like sheep nuts or grain?  Cos that can do the same as very lush grass.  Hay should help him if he has bloat.  Hope the vet gets him sorted.  Last time mine had bad bloat, i gave him antibiotics at the vets suggestion. 

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 03:57:46 pm »
Vet has done a thorough examination. No bloat, no chance of him having eaten anything he oughn't. He's given him an anti inflammatory to be on safe side as he was in such discomfort. Fingers crossed he'll be ok but thanks for your responses guys  :-*

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 04:16:06 pm »
We had one with bloat earlier in the year, sadly we lost him but that wasn't without me trying my hardest for a whole day to save him! He had it pretty bad though, managed to get into the raised corn feeder for the calves. The vet prescribed a couple of rumen drenches for him and we tubed him with sunflower oil and bicard 3 or 4 times during the day but he died whilst I was on the way home from the vet with the drenches. Grr.. He also told us to give him antibiotics.
If he's been on hay it could well be bloat if there has been a surge of grass like there has been here. People often forget the grass can have 1 last surge of growth in mid-late sept (laminitic horse owners should take note too ;) )

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 05:29:42 pm »
blocked bladder......?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 02:37:45 pm »
Dunstan's apparently a bit livelier today and more interested in what's going on around him but still off his food. No raised temperature so vet ruled out infection. No discomfort in rectum, bladder, penis etc

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 09:33:10 am »
Dunstan was PTS yesterday  :'(
Apparently he got less and less interested in food and fuss and he'd ballooned up. Vet couldn't suss out why. Sometimes I wonder about the quality of the vet.............
Now Sam has Dandelion on her own (got horses to talk to though) and she's going to see how she fares. They were really good pals so I think she'll pine.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 09:53:05 am »
 :'( :'( How sad.  I think Dandelion would benefit from another woolly friend.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS