Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Conditioning a ram lamb  (Read 3367 times)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Conditioning a ram lamb
« on: September 29, 2013, 10:09:49 am »
Hi,I have just bought a ram lamb to cover 8 ewes in a months time,he seem's in loverly condition having just been fed grass.Is there anything I should be feeding him or doing to bring him on ready for tupping in a months time.

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Conditioning a ram lamb
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 01:38:54 pm »
Wormed either before coming to you or upon arrival and then kept off your ground for 24hrs ??  clostridial vaccinations up to date  ?? isolated for 2-3 wks from touching your sheep  ??    i would buy a bag of food suitable for rams and train him to eat so that he knows how,this will make him easier to handle and move :sunshine:

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 02:16:20 pm »
Hi,yes he's all wormed and jabbed and in my orchard.He will now stay there for the next month before he goes to his new lady friends.I know the people I bought him from,and am happy that there sheep are healthy.He is all ready very friendly and come when he's called.
So what feed should I give him,I have always given my weathers ewe nuts but I have read on here a while ago they are bad for male sheep.

Graham.
Graham.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 02:43:10 pm »
There are  coarse mix's made specificaly for rams or any thing designed for lambs

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 02:55:41 pm »
There are  coarse mix's made specificaly for rams or any thing designed for lambs

I second that.

However, try to avoid his becoming tame by hand feeding as before long he would then start to try to dominate you - and of course being dominated by 60 or 70 kgs of charging, butting sheep is dangerous.  Only feed him tiny amounts of concentrates, especially as he is fit on grass alone, and tip it from the bucket direct into a trough.  It is though a good idea to get him and his rumen used to hard feed (the relevant gut flora need time to develop) with very small amounts ahead of the hard weather so he will eat it when there is deep lying snow.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 08:31:49 pm »
I would have a smallish pen in one corner that also allows you to tip some tup mix into a feed trough over the fence and get him used to come into the pen. Then it will be easy to change the crayon on his chest or deal with any other things where you need him close-up.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 08:40:13 pm »
We feed all ours on badminton country mix as suitable for all of them and the 2 goats can have it. Our new ram lamb Halter trained but wary enough to stay away when not wearing halter, he will come for food(only way to catch him).
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 09:37:08 pm »
I expect (and get) April born ram lambs to serve 40 ewes each in November with no supplementary feed----grass only

Fit ram lambs should serve 8 ewes in their sleep as long as they are mature enough, which is different from being big enough-----steady growth throughout their lives being the key

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 02:12:51 pm »
Leave him on a grass diet. Start feeding and you could heat him up. 8 ewes is nothing to a fit young ram.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 02:33:55 pm »
I agree.  Fit not fat.  Anything that needs feeding is subtracting from profit.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 02:49:04 pm »
as a slight aside, talking about fit not fat ... did anyone see countryfile last night and the ram that was squashing all the ewes as he mounted them?  Now, I'm not saying he was fat, I'm just saying I would have expected him to be able to hold himself up a bit better. I wouldn't want my ram squashing any of my ewes! :)

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 03:03:08 pm »
I wasn't sure what to make of those sheep, myself....

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 03:21:46 pm »
Didn't see it but will have to watch it now
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 09:15:37 pm »
Hi,I saw it and every ewe he mounted collapsed,he did look very large.

Graham.
Graham.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 02:47:47 am »
It was the size of a stable door.....big lad he was

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS