Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What a week  (Read 3121 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
What a week
« on: September 17, 2013, 09:09:44 pm »
Last Wednesday, Bertie, one of our cats, came in lame; slept on the bed all night  ??? and was hopping in the morning. Took him to the vet - she thought he'd maybe broken a toe but nothing was displaced, so he got metacam and antibiotics. He's now fine.

Saturday, went to check the tup and wether at our rented grazing; Dickie, our wether, groaning and ears down. Called the vet; problem in liver / abdomen area; gave him Closamectin, metacam and five days antibiotic. After oatcakes, digestives, ivy leaves, raspberry prunings ( :yum: apparently) and herby horse treats, he seems pretty much back to normal.

Sunday, Smokey, the Highland pony, is lame in his off fore. Dug out a big stone and  :fc: . Monday, still lame; foot trimmer coming but called the vet too. He's got an abcess; vet trimmed back and opened it - what a happy pony  :thumbsup: He's got a poultice on, to be replaced daily. I'm cornering the market in Duck tape  :innocent: but he's moving much better now  :relief:

Today, Felix, our old cat, fell off the bed  ::) and dislocated his knee. Apparently, he's always had weak knees, the vet says. So he's on anti inflammatories as well.

What a week - thank goodness everyone seems to be none the worse but I could do without any more vet visits  :)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: What a week
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 09:45:39 pm »
wow not a good week, don't envy you the vets bill for that lot!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 09:50:12 pm »
Just glad everyone is ok :relief:

And I suppose better this week than next...  ;)

:innocent: Always look on the bright side of life  :innocent:

:hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 09:50:33 pm »
Goodness! More than your fair share there sweetie  :hug:

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 09:51:07 pm »
 :hug:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 09:52:01 pm »
At least they are all on the mend and the Vet can order that new Playstation :-J

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 10:03:07 pm »
Glad ”the powers that be” solved things but know the feeling of funding the vets month off when I only manage an hour or so!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 10:57:22 pm »
Have you considered moving the vet in?

Hope this is it for you now.  :hug:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 09:33:29 am »
Not quite all. We think Felix has had a stroke. In addition to his gammy back leg, he now has a slightly twisted front leg (both left) and he's very wobbly. Doesn't seem to know where two of his legs are.

He's spent the night cuddled in to me - except for getting up to guzzle Whiskas then come back and breathe on me  ::) . This morning I took him out ofr a pee, which he did, and now he's back in bed.

He doesn't seem to be in pain or distressed but I suppose I'll have to take him back to the vet.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 09:35:25 am »
Arh, I suppose like humans we all get a bit wobbly..how old is Felix?    nothing nicer than cat breath in your face first thing :innocent:

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 09:37:39 am »
You certainly don't want many weeks like that.   :hug: for Felix.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 05:28:45 pm »
He's 14, happygolucky.

It is either a stroke or a brain tumour - most likely the first. He's dragging both left paws but he does have feeling in them and his eyes are OK. So  :fc: that he's OK.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 05:32:26 pm »
most important, can he still jump up to dribble on you  ;D ;D ;D

felix is a lovely cat...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS