Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chillie Peppers.  (Read 8663 times)

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Chillie Peppers.
« on: September 17, 2013, 04:14:06 pm »
I've just picked a small portion of our chillie pepper crop from the poly and there's loads of them. I think that I've settled on freezing them individually and then keeping them all together in a polythene zip bag. The question is, do I remove the seeds from them or leave them intact? What do you do?

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Chillie Peppers.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 05:29:16 pm »
Always freeze them whole, with seeds.  I have even once grown more chillies from frozen seed!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 05:37:22 pm »
I chop mine and then freeze complete with seeds
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 06:29:40 pm »
I dry mine with seeds and store them in a jar  :chili: :chili: :chili:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 08:35:47 am »
I dry mine with seeds and store them in a jar  :chili: :chili: :chili:

I dry as well. Hang them in the airing cupboard or over the wood burner  :thumbsup:

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 08:05:55 pm »
We put half a dozen fresh ones in a Hairy Bikers curry tonight and we very pleased with the result. Most of the ingredients for our meal were home grown, our own chicken, onions, red peppers, tomatoes and chillies. It was a nice feeling to have been so self sufficient and even better still, the curry was absolutely Delicious. :farmer:

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 07:54:25 pm »
Chillie overload! :o  We froze the last chillies that we picked from the poly tunnel but we're going to try and dry these. We picked 240 of them this evening and there's way more than that left to get. I had a nibble of one of the yellow ones while we were in the tunnel and it damn near burnt the front of my lips off. :roflanim:  Fantastic colours though.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 08:34:41 am »
Bodger That's a fantastic crop  :thumbsup: :trophy: .  How many plants is that little lot from? What varieties have you been growing this year? From the photo it looks like cayenne and habanero . I've been growing a mixed selection of chilli's this year it's been quite tricky working out which variety is which ??? . Still not 100% sure on a few plants, it's like Russian roulette. But the ones I do know are cayenne, scotch bonnet, satans kiss, jalapeņo and habanero.
Just ordered next years seeds and the rubber gloves for handling them :thumbsup: . Going to attempt to grow some very hot chilli's butch T, naga and Trinidad 7 pot brain strain. Also going to try some just because I liked the names,  ring of fire  :-J  And hot banana  ;D  To name a few. Think I've got 14 varieties to grow next year.
Were do you grow your chilli's, In pots,grow bags or in beds?
 Sorry about all the questions but I really like growing chilli's but can't seem to get it exactly right, going on your photo you are a chilli growing god, and I would love some advice.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 08:53:58 am »
Thanks Bert but I'm afraid its just a case of beginners luck. I stuck half a dozen mixed plants in the poly tunnel that I bought from Wilkinsons and the local garden centre. I know that I lost just the one plant and replaced it with a hot one . I can't really what I planted, the labels that came with the  plants disappeared ages ago  but I think that a lot of them were the cayenne.

I've also got some that look a bit like Chinese lanterns but again, I can't remember the name.

The ones in the picture are just the tip of the iceberg and there are many many, more left in the poly. Its a bit of a mess in there as its the end of the season but I'll try and get a photo to show you what I mean by beginners luck.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 10:00:05 am »
Do they ripen wel in the polytonal? We are planning to grow chillis next year instead of peppers which seem to rot before they get ripe.

But I'm concerned that we will be equally luckless with chills.

Do the chillis ripen better than peppers?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 01:16:29 pm »
This year, both the chillis and our peppers have done really well in the poly. No problems with them not ripening.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 10:59:22 pm »
Oh wow! I've been growing chillis, peppers and aubergines and one chilli is just turning yellow, one aubergine is maybe 5cm long and I've got a couple of tiny peppers. They were so late starting, most only flowered in August. I'm not sure what I'd do with as many chillis as you've got but they're beautiful to look at.

H

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 06:36:00 am »
I can't see us planting many if any next year. As you say, I can't ever see us getting through this lot.

I'm going to try planting some garlic in the tunnel at the end of this month.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 08:06:55 am »
I've not had much luck this year had a few off so I can say not a disaster but nothing as good as that pic! jealous!!

I think my problem is not enough feed been giving about 2/3rds what I fed the tomatoes but also that they were in a draught, Figured the small plants would grow better under the arc of the polytunnel and the tall plants in the middle..

next year I will have enough space to put them away from the vents

Ian

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 11:03:54 am »
we pickled last years crop and kept them in the fridge and used them over the winter, won't have so many this year as one of my pet lambs got in to the conservatory and decided to have a munch  >:( >:(
 my peppers did well this year but this years chillies are slow and still quite small
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS