Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 4 acres or so available to start a smallholding  (Read 5251 times)

brambledout

• Joined Sep 2013
    • Driving with Dogs
4 acres or so available to start a smallholding
« on: September 10, 2013, 06:44:01 pm »
I’m wondering whether any potential smallholders might be interested in a small (4 acre) parcel of land which has been neglected for some time.
To be clear, this isn’t a purely commercial proposition – the fields and orchard have belonged to my family for a long time and were once productive – and I’m not looking for rental payments (apart from a tiny sum to make a legal contract work) for an initial period.  It is possible to put a caravan there for accommodation, although there's no electricity or mains water supply.
A willingness to care for 3-8 rare-breed pigs essential, while they clear the orchard of brambles, and any practical knowledge of fencing, coppicing, orchard care, composting WCs, etc very helpful.
The land is on the Warwickshire/West Midlands border, and may be a useful starting point for someone keen to 'try the life' before committing to a purchase elsewhere (or running screaming from the reality!).
Questions welcome!

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
Re: 4 acres or so available to start a smallholding
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 07:33:13 pm »
what a great offer, nice one  :thumbsup:

WannaBeFarmerJoe

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 01:50:00 pm »
sounds really interesting, where about on the Warwickshire/West Midlands border are you?

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 02:18:17 pm »
Ive heard there is a tenancy coming up soon in Barnsley....We used to keep our horse there before we cam to Germany.....I thought about it last time it was up but the hose was in real need of renovation then. (Its been done now to very good speck or so Im told)

autoidea

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 05:52:58 pm »
Hi, I am very interested in a new type of smallholding which relies on renewable energy to supplement the income and to provide an educational example to others.
I can show the entire "circle of life" there, from crops to waste to energy to crops again.
Do you think yours would be a good place for that ?

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 06:33:39 pm »
this is a fantastic offer, someone is going to get very lucky. If only you could move the land a bit closer to NW Devon.

brambledout

• Joined Sep 2013
    • Driving with Dogs
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 01:02:35 pm »
I wish it was closer to NW Devon too Mike!!
No one seems to be seriously interested, so I'm now going to advertise it locally for grazing. 

brambledout

• Joined Sep 2013
    • Driving with Dogs
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 01:04:25 pm »
autoidea - nice concept but this land isn't suitable for that as the access track is not suitable for school minibuses, etc.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 06:52:33 pm »
What period of time are you talking about as the "initial period" and what will happen after that? Will you take it back, or continue to rent it at a higher price or what?  Just wondering as I have a friend who may be interested, but she has already had her fingers burnt once when taking on a smallholding on a repairing tenancy which then had the rent increased to a point where she had to leave ad it broke her heart.

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 08:52:39 pm »
Wow. What a fantastic offer, however whoever took it on would have to have some guarantee that all the work doing the restoration would then not be turfed off. Maybe do a guaranteed long term rent. Hope you find someone soon. Have a look on River Cottage 'landshare' site.....
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS