Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: very short notice rescue hens  (Read 2539 times)

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
very short notice rescue hens
« on: September 10, 2013, 05:56:50 pm »
Are arriving on Saturday!
I only contacted the rescue last week, last time we had a wait of a few months before there was a reigning date in our area.

So now I have a problem. The woman said to keep them desperate to start with, but so they can see each other. During the day this is no prob as I can keep them in the big run- the others free range now.

I do need to think of a very quick and affordable solution for bed time tho.

Any ideas?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: very short notice rescue hens
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 06:05:52 pm »
Freecycle - shed, Wendy house, play house......

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 06:17:45 pm »
How many hens?
Could you wait till dark and put them in a big cardbord box in a shed/garage/porch? My dog sleeps in an old wardrobe and doesn't mind. Do you have a Wood shed/wendy house? I have an old packing trunk that would sleep a couple of hens at a push. Its only for a couple weeks quarantine right?

Or just admit defeat; you're bound to end up with more chickens with ove time? :) I have no affiliation with the site below, and haven't seen their houses in the flesh, but bought food from them (which was fine) and saw these:

little house for £30:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIELD-HOUSE-SMALL-ANIMAL-HUT-SHELTER-BOX-RABBIT-GUINEA-PIG-POULTRY-CHICKEN-/321180333318?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item4ac7d6f506#ht_1543wt_721

little arc for £50:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOODEN-ARK-152x63x52cm-SMALL-ANIMAL-HUTCH-RUN-RABBIT-GUINEA-PIG-CHICKEN-POULTRY-/221252689405?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item3383b01dfd

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 07:23:05 pm »
 ''The woman said to keep them desperate to start with,''

Love your typo, lol

If they are in a run any kind of wooden box will give them a bit of shelter, even an old cupboard. You could make something makeshift with fence panels or old doors maybe?
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 09:08:36 pm »
I have growers sleeping in a wheelie bin laid on it's side. It is watertight and easy to clean. Perfect for temporary accommodation.

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 09:13:10 pm »
Ha ha the typo is this silly kindle and its hyperactive auto correct.

Only six hens, I have three wooden tea chests that have seen better days, some straw in them and a way of shutting them in at night and I think we're sorted, two in each. It is only for a few weeks yes, so this arrangement should be fine.

Oh won't let me buy another coop. He thinks we have enough hens already. As if lol.
Wheelie bin is a fab idea  ;D
Thanks everyone :)

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:03:54 am »
Oh won't let me buy another coop. He thinks we have enough hens already. As if lol.

The solution to your problem is a divorce!  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS