Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New girl in town  (Read 1494 times)

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
New girl in town
« on: September 10, 2013, 09:50:42 pm »
Hi
The last time that I posted I was looking for poultry breeders in our area (Caithness).  I eventually found some in Helmsdale and am now a happy Mum of 8 x 16 week old pullets.  I've had them for 2 weeks and have just been offered a 8 month old Light Sussex hen.  What is the best way to add her to my little flock?  I don't have the facility to separate her for a while as I only have 1 run and 1 coop.  Do you think that it will help that she much older than them and the run is pretty big?  Any ideas and advice would be most welcome!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: New girl in town
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 12:15:06 am »
It's tougher to just add one hen, could you persuade them into an extra one or two? Then pop them into the house at night and hopefully when they wake up in the morning, the newcomers will just be accepted. Longer term it might be worth getting a small run too. Means you can isolate new stock which is worth it just be sure they're not bringing in something horrid - and it also means you can pull out sick or injured hens from your own flock if they need it.

Enjoy your henkeeping!

H

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
Re: New girl in town
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 11:07:08 am »
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply!
Yes, there are others available apparently.  I was just a bit wary of having too many.  My house is for 10-12 birds and I presently have 8.  I just didn't want to overcrowd.  I think I will have an extra two and spend next week extending everything!
Thank you again
C

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS