Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Ultrasound  (Read 4046 times)

Miss_Clare

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Devon, Newton Abbot
  • -SHEPHERDESS-
Sheep Ultrasound
« on: September 10, 2013, 04:57:15 pm »
Anyone familiar with doing this ? My 5 ewes will be putting to ram this year and it's their first year of being with me so i'd like to try out having the ultrasound to see what we will be expecting.. Looking to pay someone with the equipment rather than buying the equipment myself.. anyone in the south west ???

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
Re: Sheep Ultrasound
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 05:07:41 pm »
You can always expect the unexpected!
Do you have the facilities to manage the ewes with twins separately?  If not, I'd be tempted to say don't bother.  Just my personal opinion though...

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 05:12:08 pm »
With only 5 don't bother, the expense of getting someone in to do them would not be cost effective, unless you have a mate who does it, or some students who want to practice.

The best thing you can do is to note what days each one is tupped on (ie raddle your ram).  At least then you will know what day (+-2 days) they are due to drop.

Miss_Clare

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Devon, Newton Abbot
  • -SHEPHERDESS-
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 05:21:02 pm »
I've got a couple numbers written down after a bit of research and i'm not bothered about the price it's something I just want to experience in life with my 5 girls... whatever numbers they will be carrying I have no worries I have everything ready and no doubt my ewe's are going to be brilliant mothers to their lambs... I am not having to pay for the ram so I have saved money on that side of things which will cover/go towards the ultrasounds

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 07:49:45 pm »
Have you contacted DASH ?  They have a Facebook page as well as a website and someone should be able to help from that group.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 07:59:48 pm »
what's DASH ??

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 08:26:55 pm »
Devon Association of Smallholders, hence DASH. Several groups in different parts of the county, regular magazine etc.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 08:29:26 pm »
With any good scanner you will struggle to get him to come to you. Mine gets booked by the time the ram has gone in near enough. This year I spoke to a friend who had 900 ewes scanned and I'm half way between the there two farms so they dropped in. Next time i'll be going to his farm with the ewes and scan them there.

Its a bit of a faf getting the equipment in and out for just 5 and you'll pay for there time and then some

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 08:34:13 pm »
Forgot to add, Its an amazing feeling when you get the results!

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 09:11:43 pm »
It is such a skill, not like people or horses where even a lay person can get some idea, it is such a blurry jumble wih sheep.  With only 5, by far your best bet is to try to find someone who will let you bring your sheep to their scanning, as others have said, I don't think anyone would want to set their kit up for 5, our scanning man scans 840 ewes in 5 hours, but it takes a good half hour to set up and an hour to dismantle as everything has to be disinfected.  I know he charges a set up and dismantle fee for less than about 100, but I don't know how much that is.  We pay 55p/ewe scanned.

Miss_Clare

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Devon, Newton Abbot
  • -SHEPHERDESS-
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 09:18:25 pm »
Thanks for the response's.. I'm going out to help my uncle drench some sheep tomorrow so will ask him if maybe he would be interested in doing it and have mine there to get scanned also :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 09:22:37 pm »
Our scanner comes and does ours no problem - the wonderful Gillian at booscan - she did them when we had three and now she does them when we have 10 or so. She charges £30 plus a small amount per sheep; it took her about 30 minutes from saying "morning" to saying "bye bye, see you next year". She's never been wrong about how many lambs.

I don't like surprises  ;D

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 09:30:36 pm »

Made me smile, neither do I!  It is also helpful when you know one has finished the job!

Miss_Clare

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Devon, Newton Abbot
  • -SHEPHERDESS-
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 09:44:31 pm »
Our scanner comes and does ours no problem - the wonderful Gillian at booscan - she did them when we had three and now she does them when we have 10 or so. She charges £30 plus a small amount per sheep; it took her about 30 minutes from saying "morning" to saying "bye bye, see you next year". She's never been wrong about how many lambs.

Well that's good to know, I will just give them a ring closer to the time and see what they say I think.. I've only had them a couple months now and getting to know them all individually it's all very exciting and would like to know what they are having whether it be just the one, twins or maybe triplets :)

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 02:42:39 pm »
Hi
I am typically scanning 6 or 7 ewes.   Scanner chappie is happy to fit in a quick visit to my flock when he is doing others in the surrounding area.    I pay min £30
he just brings in the ultrasound box thingy and sits on the other side of a creep hurdle while I hold each ewe against the hurdle while he scans them - saves having to drag the crate in an out     takes no time at all
my ewes are placid which probably makes doing it this way a bit easier - still burns up a few calories pushing the reluctant ladies up against the hurdle tho! :relief:
they are also very large sheep and when in the past a crate has been used a couple of them have had to duck to fit in  :D 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS