Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Does anyone use their sheep for dairy?  (Read 1918 times)

debbiesant

• Joined Feb 2013
Does anyone use their sheep for dairy?
« on: September 09, 2013, 11:52:02 am »
Hi there just out of interest do any of you milk your sheep and if so what do you use as a flukicide? They all seems to say not for use in animals used to produce milk for human consumption  ???

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Does anyone use their sheep for dairy?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 01:02:35 pm »
Same issue with cattle. I think the problem and is relatively new and is to do with licensing so may change.

My vet's advice was to fluke the cows, if we were going to drink the milk, when we dried them off.

debbiesant

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 01:13:32 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply, yes it does seem that way!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 04:47:48 pm »
Problem is if you are in a fluke area you would probably need to treat now, as sheep are outside in winter but cows come home... difficult decision. How long do you milk sheep for? They do not run through the winter do they?

It is the same problem with goats, I have not yet had reason to believe that my goats have fluke, but I know others do. I would think the same applies as for wormers... minimum 7 days withdrawal for human consumption.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 09:14:53 pm »
I've been told by my vet to do 7 day milk withdrawal after fasinex, don't know if that's right but it's the only thing I've got to go on.

debbiesant

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 11:45:49 am »
Thanks for all the replies. I am not actually milking but it was a thought for the future and the question just struck me as I was drenching my new girls!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 11:52:24 am »
Thanks for all the replies. I am not actually milking but it was a thought for the future and the question just struck me as I was drenching my new girls!

I think dairy sheep are run pretty much like dairy cattle - the investment in plant means that it's pretty intensive.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS