Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: another question for GFD owners - apologies !  (Read 1640 times)

Lorrie66

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Near Buckingham in Bucks
another question for GFD owners - apologies !
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:37:59 pm »
Hi
my second question of the day sorry - new sheep owner so on a learning curve!
My two gfd wethers arrived 2 days ago and they seem quite hot as in panting gently. I don't think they have been sheared this year since born in April. Of course we are going into Autumn and the weather has cooled this week anyway - but as I cannot shear can I instead give them a good clip & tidy up? I am worried they may have too much wool by winter....
or am I worrying needlessly?

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: another question for GFD owners - apologies !
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 07:25:24 pm »
Hi  :wave: ,  Your GFD boys are probably fine, they do tend to pant a bit even in cold weather.  I have sent you a pm. 

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:48:55 pm »
Hi agree with Bramblecot that GFDs do seem to huff and puff a lot more than someother breeds. However, as far as shearing is concerned, GFDs are one of the few breeds shorn in their first year (I think the breed regs specify they should be shorn by 31 July) otherwise they can go into winter with such a weight of fleece on they can get cast down when wet. Mine were born in April last year and I had them shorn mid-August, then again this May. I think I'd be inclined to get them shorn if possible.
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 11:20:17 am »
Hi Lorrie66
I hope your new boys are settling in well :sheep: :sheep:

I am sure they will soon become very friendly as the Greyface Dartmoor is a lovely natured sheep.

I am just going to give a little caution note as to running them with your horses ,they may well get chased and bullied  :-\ -so keep a watchful eye, and consider grazing them separately.
I recon it is getting a little late in the season for shearing ,the nights are getting cooler and the chance of heavy rain more likely now , unless you have got some shelter for them.(perhaps a trim up with hand shears will just tidy them up). ;D

Interestingly enough, in my opinion there is quite a variation in breed as to the "huff and Puff" related to the heaviness of the breed ,the NEW IMPROVED Greyfaces seem  a lot heavier than the old type.

for interest here is a very old photo
Sorry gone off on a tangent! :innocent: - as usual ::)
Tilly :wave:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:24:43 am by Tilly »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS