Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fish!  (Read 2038 times)

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
Fish!
« on: September 04, 2013, 04:27:26 pm »
In connection to my previous post - 'Smallholding, Planning Permission, and Living in the Country', I have been approached about some land with a large-ish area of water.  Does anyone have any experience of farming fish??

Lynn :-)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Fish!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 05:05:18 pm »
relatively for the work involved the profit is limited unless you are doing it on a huge scale...

freshwater if its big enough you would be better off looking at running a fishing lake, there is money in that if you get good advice from someone local to you...

most commercially viable fish farming is done in salt water!!!

if you have a large eastern European population near you there may be a market for carp for the table...

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 08:26:17 pm »
I used to manage trout farms.

The one I started off on only produced 12t/annum on a boreole/surface mounted pump (6" pipe) scenario. The way that they made money was by adding value - we had a smokery, went to farmers markets etc.

If you only had static water, you could try farming coarse fish for restocking, or koi etc. There are possibilities....

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 08:14:07 am »
here is a nice little fish farm up for sale,

http://www.thesmallholdingcentre.co.uk/property.php?id=350

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS