Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Schmallenberg  (Read 6403 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Schmallenberg
« on: September 04, 2013, 01:40:29 pm »
Tups not due in until end of month this year and still deliberating on whether to vaccinate.    Would like to get a general view from others on their decisions.
Thanks all
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Schmallenberg
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 02:04:18 pm »
I seem to live at Midge Central so with luck they will all have been bitten sufficiently over the summer.  :fc:
(tupping will start on 5th Oct for me, same as last year)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:08:26 pm »
I would. I would rather be safe than sorry and I think you need to do them 4 weeks before tups go in.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 03:19:16 pm »
the vaccine was just out in time for us, but we didn't because it can make the ram/ewes infertile for a while ( we lamb Dec. ram in with ewes July ). So we left it this year to see what will happen. We have had it 3 times anyway so we should be ok.we will vaccinate next year, early though.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 05:10:36 pm »
We've vaccinated ewes and cattle  :)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 05:58:37 pm »
I had a discussion with the vet over this ....... cost is huge (vaccine doesn't keep and my cows would need two doses a month apart)  and disease has only really affected those lambing early in year (ie already tupped or tupping now).  The vets themselves have very little information on the vaccine... it was fast tracked through the system . 

I am definitely not doing the sheep. I may need to think further about the cows and find a local farmer who has a couple of spare doses.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 06:05:21 pm »
I can't decide what to do either.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 07:49:50 pm »
We decided that we HAD to do the cows because the bull was going out right in the midge season.

We had three to do, four weeks apart, so we did three cows and seven ewes then the three cows and the remaining six ewes, so we only wasted one dose.

If it hadn't worked as conveniently as this, we might have thought twice about the ewes because we don't put the tup in until 5th November.

TBH, I didn't think the vaccine was overly expensive - if it saves one lamb, it's paid for itself. And I didn't thnk I'd cope well with deformed lambs / calves  :(

allyb

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 10:21:19 pm »
I agree with you Rosemary, We start lambing 27th December and wouldn't like lambing anything like that heartbreaking at best of times without lambing deformities

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 10:51:46 am »
Thanks to everyone so far.   Keep voting  :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 05:03:47 pm »
If we were in central Europe it'd be likely all stock of breeding age would have been infected.  Because we're on the edge of the disease range they may have been ..... or not.  The vaccine costs around £3.50 a head.  If you have even just one lamb with SBV look at the cost of feeding the ewe in late pregnancy, possibly having the vet out for a difficult lambing due to fixed hocks in the lamb, or putting down the lamb and/or ewe if she's damaged during lambing. If the ewe goes you've got the disposal cost and, if she's a young one, all the work and money you've put into getting her to her first or second lambing, with virtually no return.  Just crossing your fingers and hoping doesn't work for me. 

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 05:25:55 pm »
If schmallenburg is anything like its nearest analogues, apparently it is the sheep on the edge of the infection zone which are most at risk - those in the middle of the zone will be bitten and therefore will probably all be immune. So, you'd be safer not vaccinating in the middle of Europe than you would be in say, the lake district.

Having said that - I lamb late and have never seen it (it has affected Jan lambers here) so I wont be vaccinating.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 06:26:54 pm »
I have a further question .... do those of you who are vaccinating for schmallenburg also vaccinate for toxoplasmosis and enzootic abortion (both of these cause abortion and deformities and also transmit to humans)  ?   
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 09:28:33 am »
No to both of those. We had toxoplasmosis though about 6 year ago and we haven't seen it since. We keep a faily closed flock and buy from trusted sources, so i'm not too worried about enzootic. Although with two of my family pregnant at the moment they all know the dangers of being around sheep at lambing time.
It does boil down to cost, if we only had a few sheep maybe we would vaccinate and i know the it would cost a lot if we contracted either of these diseases, so head in the sand i supose. It may come and bite us on the a*** one day!!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 11:44:44 am »
Just to add to your comment feldar .............. in case others are not aware .... these diseases can be transmitted on the clothes etc of person working with sheep .......... so pregnant girls you have good excuse not to touch the washing for a few months too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS