Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram required for tupping small flock in October 2013  (Read 3794 times)

Joanner

• Joined Aug 2012
Ram required for tupping small flock in October 2013
« on: August 06, 2013, 02:37:56 pm »
Hi All,

I have a small flock of five ewes that require tupping in october. Does anyone know of a good ram we could hire to do this? We are looking for Jacob ram or similar size.
We are in the Bristol area.

If you know of anyone please can you message me here.

Many thanks!!!!   :sheep:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Ram required for tupping small flock in October 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 03:31:14 pm »
What breed of sheep do you have?  One of our Southdown ram lambs could easily manage 5 ewes and the lambs would have a good carcase and be very unlikely to have problems being born.

Joanner

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 10:32:10 am »
Hi!!
Thanks for your reply, sorry about the delay..We have a herdwick, two grey face dartmoors and 2 jacobs..How much would you charger for hire of your ram lamb?

Thanks

:sheep:

Amber rose

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 01:18:00 pm »
Hi Joanna
Im also looking for a ram for my 4 ladies, I can't help you I'm afraid in your search but I wondered if you had any idea how much I should pay for the rams services? I am looking for a Zwartbles ram.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 01:22:17 pm »
Hiring rams out can be a dubious event in terms of risks to flock health

The only way I do it is if I rent a ram to someone and take it directly to market/cull afterwards
I charge £80 or more + delivery/collection for this

Often your best bet is to buy an old cull ram from a commercial farmer and then take him to market after you have used him. You are not likely to loose much money this way

Luckyand Annie

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 02:16:03 pm »
Maybe going on Tim W's comments above I am naive but I have an unreg welsh speckle face who is rather frustrated with his four girls each. Year so I have arranged for him to visit a couple of friends small flocks and he could easily fit in some more.  Thomas is very easy to handle and throws stocky short legged lambs which are very tasty.  My ewes are a mix of welsh crosses and black faces.  He always gets them In lamb in the first week out with them.  Contact me if you are interested.  I am 8 miles Welsh side of. The old Seven Bridge.

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 01:18:58 pm »
Hi Joanna
Im also looking for a ram for my 4 ladies, I can't help you I'm afraid in your search but I wondered if you had any idea how much I should pay for the rams services? I am looking for a Zwartbles ram.

Hi : just to let you know we've got a couple of Zwartbles rams for sale on this site and Preloved.  Both registered with ZSA - one 2012 and proven, one this years batch.

We've also got some cross-bred and unregistered Zwartbles shearlings and ewe lambs plus an older ewe available.....PM me if interested.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 09:31:35 pm »
I'll have a Badger Face Welsh Mountain and a Southdown available at the end of October.  My flock is closed and both will be going straight to cull.  No worm resistance, footrot or abortion agents, Johnes, Jaagsiekte or scab.

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 07:15:07 am »
Hi Joanna

Hi Amber : did you get my Pm about our Zwartbles rams ?

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 01:03:21 pm »
Hi Amber ...... did you have any joy re a Zwartbles ram?     Whereabouts are you?   I can put you in touch with a breeder if you let me know your location

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS