Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yet ANOTHER red mite question  (Read 2420 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Yet ANOTHER red mite question
« on: September 03, 2013, 07:20:57 pm »
Have washed the hens and creosoted the old broody runs to put them in.  I've cleaned and painted the "hospital" (also known as the old rabbit hutch) and the battery hens are currently lodging in there.

That leaves *gulp* the BIG chicken house, which was built by a friend of mine before I had the hens and is a box on legs about 6 by 4.... the only thing is... in order to clean that, I'm going to have to stick my head in.

That run is absolutely ALIVE with mite, in fact, a chicken I put in there actually died >:(  Its been closed up for a month..... can I just leave it over winter and starve the barstewards to death?  I don't think a shower cap is going to protect me if I shove my head in there.....

I don't need it  (or at least I can survive without it.....

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Yet ANOTHER red mite question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 07:49:03 pm »
I think the unhatched dormant eggs can easily survive 3 years and even up to 8 years :o

What about trying a smoke bomb insecticide thing after giving the coop a really good rattle first and do it on a warm sunny day maybe.  I have read that the dormant eggs hatch almost instantly they sense warmth and movement.  Not sure if that is general warmth or just a rapid temp change, but worth a try anyway.

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:08:41 pm »
I'd agree, get the fumigators, and use teh correct number for the volume

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:34:01 pm »
I sealed it and put two Bob Martin Flea Bombs in it about a month ago..... didn't make a dent.... are there special ones for Chicken coops?  I was in my local pet store Jolly's and the flea bombs were all that they had...

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 10:19:07 pm »
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 12:07:47 am »
Could you ask the vets? I got some spray stuff from them for fleas around the house with Permithrin (not sure about that spelling) in - same active ingredient he gave me to treat the broodies for lice/mites. I guess spraying that around and leaving for a  few days should make a dent before you begin the serious detox regime.

H

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 01:40:33 am »
When we had a serious infestation a few years back I dressed my OH in one of those paper SOCO suits, which we then burnt and he had a long shower.  Wellies with elastic bands to hold the suit legs tight over them, and gloves the same.  He stayed mite-free both times we used that method.  The disposable suits are available from places like Homebase for a couple of quid.  Of course I stayed well clear because I loathe the hateful things and scratch for days just thinking about them  :tired:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 07:05:57 am »
On Saturday we stripped the felt off the roof of our shed/henhouse and creosoted the roof, cleaned the house out and sprayed with Total Mite Kill, when it was all dry I dusted the whole thing liberally with diatomaceous earth.  :fc: So far we seem to be almost clear, just finding the odd one . I also creosoted the ends of the perches. The plan now is to put a small spare house in that run and creosote the whole shed as soon as I have time, the nesting boxes were ok as we have rollaway ones that I bought from Solway Feeders, they are metal with plastic inserts.
Anne

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 10:03:57 am »
If it's got to the stage where every nook and cranny is a mite city burn it and start again, as you will never get them all.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 02:19:59 pm »
Must admit I got fed up with trying to outwit the mites, tried DE and the Smite liquid stuff. In the end we have given up on wooden hen houses and use plastic ones from Green Frog - nowhere for the buggers to hide and completely dismantleable (is that a word?) so you can clean it all. Not cheap but incredibly durable so a good long term investment.
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS