Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grazing charge per cow?  (Read 21282 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Grazing charge per cow?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 04:43:45 pm »
Thats a good idea,  Bibs and one I will keep in mind.  At the moment, the calves are sold at about 8 months, when they are taken off the cows, so no, we do not have our own beef.  Farmer does the same, although he does have pigs killed and also lambs.  I have hinted about sausages a time or two, but he has not yet cottoned on.

I am just watching for him coming along to collect his bull, as no doubt I will be called upon to assist with segregating him from the cows, and helping load him. Thats the bull, not the farmer!!!

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 08:27:44 am »
hi guys,we are in gloucestershire im paying £60.00 acre for grazing only for 12 months which is about average but you need to haggle make sure you dont get ripped off. this is with no mains water so i use a 1000l bowser towed down with the tractor. cheers neil

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 11:22:21 pm »
Thanks for telling me that, Neil - I am now spurred on to find out what the going rate for grazing is round here. I have had a couple of people ask if they can rent the land. Maybe they have heard the rent is dirt cheap!!!!

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 08:24:42 pm »
Before I got my cows a local farmer said he paid £1 per head per week.
Karen

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 11:20:09 pm »
Now if that was a pony Karen, the charge would be a tenner at least .....so why is a cow only £1.  I mean, they are big animals, and surely would eat more that in grasss a week.  I think even at £1 I would be better off than I am now.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 08:19:06 am »
cost wise were someone with a horse is prepared to pay that. which is a lot cheaper than having it in a stables. it would not make sense to pay 520 for a cow. assume that there are about a half dozen £300 per year would be reasonable. do you get any EU money for the land.

Corn yr Afr

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 07:49:48 pm »
The charge for grazing is normally per hectare not per cow.  Horses are normally charged per animal and dependant on the services provided.  Winter grazing for sheep is normally 50p per head per week.
Make sure you know who is responsible for insurance, damage to fencing etc.  Horses are the worse as they ruin trees and don't mix well with other animals.

Are you sure there are no grazing rights or old agreement?   Be careful, I know of people who thought they were getting a rough deal and asked for too much.  The local farmers didn't like it and they ended up paying to have the grass taken. 

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 10:59:24 pm »
Farmer has just bought some land right next to his house ....so ......I am now wondering if he will choose not to return here next Spring. 

I don't know what he has paid for it, but round here land is definitely not cheap - his calves will be off to the Autumn sales next month, so he will be hoping for excellent prices to help pay for his new land!!!

Corn yr Afr

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 04:41:13 pm »
He'll get them too, beef is short and the price is high.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 10:09:09 pm »
Ah, thats why he is bringing them a lot of feed every day, to make sure they are a good size.  I have to say they usually are good quality by the time  they go, after being on our fields.  There is already a marked difference between the bulls and heifers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS