Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grazing charge per cow?  (Read 21328 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Grazing charge per cow?
« on: August 06, 2009, 12:27:22 pm »
Just wondered if any of you rent land for your cows, or would know the going rate for grass keep per cow per week.

Before I bought the farm, an elderley farmer rented some of the land for his cattle during the summer, as my uncle was himself in his eighties and decided to retire!!  As I already have my own land just up the lane,  the arrangement continued.  May - end of October - well he always runs over, but not bothered  about that.

What I am bothered about, is the fact that in all the time he has been here - probably 10 years in total, he has never had a rise in what he pays, and I do feel he is not paying enough.  He has full use of quite a few acres, and gradually the amount of cows he is keeping has increased, and they all have a calf each, and then the bull is here for around 10 weeks.  From what I can see, he only pays for the big cows, not the calves or the bull!!  The calves are probably 8 months when they leave, so are eating grass.  We deduct £200 for him mowing and baling two small fields of ours, from his bill, but last year he did not do the hay as it rained all summer, but still paid the same as if he had.

We have a very large mortgage, and need as much money as we can to help pay it.  I have heard this mans son is buying some land, so maybe he will not return next year.  If he does, I want to make sure he is paying the going rate ......so need some idea of what to charge per cow, and also  each calf once its eating.

I never put any of our animals in with his cows, and  the land is rested over winter, which he likes, but really I could use the land for horses or something part of the winter, to raise some extra cash. 

To be honest I think he is on a good deal.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Grazing charge per cow?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 12:59:20 pm »
keep an eye out at your local mart for the yearly grass lets auction that way you'll get an idea of a good price.
most agricultural lets are by £/acre and not per cow, also have a chat with your mart auctioneer as to average letting prices, he should be happy to provide that info.

Rough grazing here is around £16-20 per acre
Ian

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 01:25:57 pm »
Thanks Ian.

£16-£20 .....is that for the whole of the summer season per acre .....or per week????  Surely not per week, although I could get that per horse here!!!

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 01:41:57 pm »
that was per season, but as I said it was rough grazing and was also on a steepish hill
Ian

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 03:08:57 pm »
In Aberdeenshire we used to get £85 per acre per season regardless of what animals were on it, sheep, cows or nought.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 08:42:52 pm »
out of interest - is there much difference for winter seasonal grazing for sheep (October to March)?

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 11:02:59 pm »
hey i have paid by the cow once a calf was counted as another animal so i u had to pay the full proce for her  this price was a daily price and was paid weekly   it has ranged in the past from 15p to 25p per day per animal
 for sheep it was 5p per day per head
this wasnt tied to a grazing season it was all year based price  but u only paid if the animlas where on there

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 12:11:55 am »
Farmer pays £300 after he has deducted the £200 haymaking money.  So maybe I am getting a fair price then?
Its just when I look out the window and see 17 animals ......If I had 17 horses on I would be making £170 per week!!

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 12:49:55 am »
Jesus...where are you guys...grazing land goes for £125 per acre per season here in Stafford - I'm moving to another farm about 12 mile away in September and have just negotiated a rate of £95.00 per acre per year for additional high quality grazing land off a retired neighbour and I'm cock-a-hoop. (incidently, most grazing contracts stipulate the maximum number of animals to be grazed -around two cows per acre is average). Obviously, charges may differ dependant on quality of land, type of grass, whether or not there is running/troughed water - rough grassland without any mains water supply is always the cheapest.

My advice...take care of your own mortgage...find out the going rate for similar land in your area and charge that price...if your existing tenant doesn't want to pay the going rate someone else will...he's doing you no favours on the harvesting either...find out what a local contractor would charge you.

Hope this helps
Farmer
 :farmer:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 04:36:25 pm »
Thank you Farmer for that valuable information.

Goodness, if you came round here offering that sort of rent, we would be queueing up to have your animals!!

Our grass is organic, in that it has never, ever had fertiliser on - just manure on the meadows.  Its definitely not moorland, as where the cows are is down in a valley by a river.  Lots of wild flowers and herbs, mixed with red clover in the summer, lots of different types of grasses too.  I notice his cows and calves always go home fatter than they came.  Water is in a trough, which has a hose running from the house, and I fill three times a day.  Farmer checks cattle once a day, but I am there  other times, and do a night check for him too, free of course!!!

If I could get the rent you are paying, I would be laughing.  Its just something we have never looked into.  But if he was renting a house I am sure the rent would have increased every year, surely!!

Will leave it for this year, and maybe speak to him with a view to re negotiating the price next spring.

Thanks again for your help!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 11:14:34 pm »
so you help care for his cows and he charges you for the grass cut. yes i think you need to look again at your tenant. cheap land with a very helpful landlord you should also be charging for the water is it mains or well.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 11:20:09 pm »
Water is mains, and at the moment we are not on a meter....farmer did actually ask if we were as he was willing to pay.  I also help him round up the cows, help with worming, fly repellent, etc.....I help him load his calves for market, get the bull into the trailer, mind them while he goes away for a week.

Like I said, I do not mix my own livestock with his, so its sort of like his own place, in that he does as he pleases and can graze all or as little as he wants at a time.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 10:06:20 am »
your a very kind person. sounds you should be sending him a bill for a full time stock person.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 07:30:36 pm »
Hi Roxy,

You could become my neighbour anytime...seriously though, I understand how easy it is to be taken for granted and I'm sure you also get a lot of pleasure in providing the help you give...but at the end of the day you still have a mortgage to pay and you can't afford to be philanthropic when the bank is breathing down your neck - I suspect the 'farmer' doesn't share your kindness of nature, but doubt that he is deliberately trying to take you for a ride either - have a chat and make sure he understands that things have to change - good luck

Farmer
 :farmer:

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 01:10:31 pm »
Hi Roxy.
Do you have your own cattle - and therefore your own beef?? I know you say that your mortgage is big and you need the money - but if you don't run your own cattle for beef why not ask for some beef on top of the rental??
I only have 6 cows, but only have 3 acres so they need extra grazing, and I pay for my grazing in beef.
Just an idea.
Bibs x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS