Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pru the Pig?  (Read 14512 times)

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Pru the Pig?
« on: September 02, 2013, 09:53:29 am »
I hope that she's OK. When I went to feed her this morning I found her retching, a little like a dog that's been eating grass. She was at it for a few minutes before bringing up some yellow bile. I stuck her pellets in the trough and she has eaten them.
Going on the date that I saw her actually mating with the boar, she should be having piglets tomorrow. She's certainly big enough but my concern is this retching, is it something that I should be concerned about? Is there something that I should or could be doing?

Its rather a late stage in the pregnancy for her to suddenly suffer from morning sickness, if indeed they actually do get it, but its something that's crossed my mind.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Pru the Pig?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 10:34:32 am »
Don't think its too much to worry about. If you think she's near to farrowing we always cut a sows food back just before as piglets are moving towards the birth canal and this lessens the available stomach space so making them likely to retch if over full.
Keep an eye on her and if the retching and yellow bile continues thro out the day get the vet PDQ as she may have been eating stones and thats not good.
all the best  :fc:  for a good litter
Mandy :pig:

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 02:04:31 pm »
Thanks Mandy. Touch wood she seems to be OK now, just very uncomfortable but that's almost certainly down to her humungus size. She really is very pregnant but still hasn't bagged up yet. I think that she'll go past the third of September date that I'd worked out but who knows? She may still prove me wrong. :fc:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 02:39:56 pm »
my sow was sick after farrowing but we hadnt reduced her food enough as she was overdue and we thought she'd missed the boar. def reduce her feed a bit if she is due soon.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 04:38:48 pm »
The first mating took place on the tenth of May.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 08:38:08 am »
We are grandparents.  :excited:   I thought that there might be something a foot when Pru wasn't waiting for me at the gate for her breakfast this morning.

She didn't show any signs of farrowing  last night but the clever old girl had nine piglets over night with just the one still born. She may have a few more later on, we'll have to wait and see.

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:52:31 am »
Well done to both of you! She's probably finished and may have eaten the afterbirth so you won't see it to confirm all is done.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 09:23:15 am »
Lovely picture, many congratulations to Pru, look good chunky piglets. :love:
All the best Mandy  :pig:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 09:26:33 am »
Congratulations Grandpa :-J lovely picture
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 06:57:36 pm »
Lovely piglets  :love:  very jealous just not got the right set up to breed my own although it is getting harder here to find wearers, so many of the breeders around me are giving up, even the one that I got this years Middle Whites from.  :(
Anne

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 08:11:08 pm »
Gorgeous! Look at those 2 clowns in the pic. rooting about her bum when there's a spare nipple up the other end. Enjoy them, they grow up soooo quick ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 09:43:11 am »
Beautiful  :thumbsup: Well done Pru (and you of course  ;))

Lovely piglets  :love:  very jealous just not got the right set up to breed my own although it is getting harder here to find wearers, so many of the breeders around me are giving up, even the one that I got this years Middle Whites from.  :(
Last year was a really hard year for us (and every other pig keeper I'd imagine), with the weather, feed prices etc etc etc. We stuck it out hoping for a better year this year and it's been great weather wise here, but the feed prices are yet to come down  :( We're cutting back numbers over the winter and will see what 2014 brings....
Kx

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 10:56:15 am »
congrats, beautiful wee things.  :thumbsup:

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 11:59:19 am »
What a lovely surprise that must have been the first moment you saw them all there already.  Congrats to you and Pru, and take lots of pics these next few weeks for future memories.   They grow up so fast, and the first 6 weeks are pure heaven.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 

Miss_Clare

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Devon, Newton Abbot
  • -SHEPHERDESS-
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 01:03:47 pm »
Congrats :) & a very big well done mummy pru, what a lovely lot!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS