Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to eat a Kunekune?  (Read 3765 times)

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
How to eat a Kunekune?
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:39:27 pm »
Well not exactly but our  girls are now booked on their one way journey. I've never done little pigs before so was wondering how to have them butchered. I had originally thought they would be just for sausages but perhaps they do make some decent (tiny) joints? I aim on keeping a leg to try another air dried ham (our last GOS one was gooooood :yum: ) How do you Kunekune owners/eaters butcher yours?

Thanks in advance for advice.

HappyHippy

Re: How to eat a Kunekune?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:35:11 pm »
We just get the butcher to joint, cut and pack as we would normally. It's usually a mix of chops/loin joints/bacon, a couple of rolled gigots and everything else as sausage/burgers/mince (it's what our customers like  ;))
The joints and cuts are a bit smaller but every bit as tasty  :yum:

I've not done an air dried ham, but the Kunekune bacon we had made was delish  :thumbsup:
HTH
Karen

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 05:42:45 pm »
Hi :wave:

Just been thinking about how to get the Kunes butchered. At 11-12 months old I guess they wouldn't be any good yet for bacon? As sausages are soooo popular with our customers, I was thinking of having them made into just sausages. Not really sure how many sausages a whole Kunekune might make? Would there be a mahoooosive lot of sausages?

Thanks!
Beki

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 04:08:00 pm »
In a word.....yes  ;D

Our Kunekunes are around 85Kg live weight at that age, so approx. 40Kg of minced pork, made into sausages.....yeah, lots  :thumbsup:

HTH ?
Karen x

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 07:45:45 am »
Hi Karen,

Thanks for that. Still wondering though about bacon possibilities? I guess they are too young for bacon? What about gammons?

Ta! Beki

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 08:30:37 am »
Yes, at that age you'd get some nice joints that could be cured  :thumbsup:

Ours are mostly 18 months (ish) when they go off for bacon (100Kg+ usually) so they have plenty of depth in the loin. You can get bacon made from smaller pigs, it still tastes lovely :yum: it's just that the 'eye' is smaller than it would normally be.
HTH  :wave:

J D

• Joined Oct 2012
  • East Ayrshire
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 10:12:22 am »
Hi

I've just sent my first Kunes off for meat.  They were quite small but just weren't growing probably because of the long winter and terrible summer last year.  Anyway they were about 18 months when they went. At a rough guess one was nearing 80kg live weight and the other close to 50kg.  The dead weights came back as 49kg and 38kg.  The smaller one I got the 2 gigots made into bacon and the 2 shoulders minced and plenty of chops.  The bigger one plenty of rolled shoulder and gigot joints and chops. Also lots of link and lorne sausage, ribs, liver, trotters, kidney and ears

Looking at the chops we have produced there would have been plenty of meat for doing back bacon as well on the larger one. My butcher apparently normally looks for dead weight of 50kg.

J D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS