Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: flummoxed.com  (Read 6845 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Re: flummoxed.com
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 09:38:39 pm »
D'oh didn't even think to ask about the sugar.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: flummoxed.com
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 10:06:23 am »
Twas only as I was adding (lots of) sugar that it came to me.

Gosh I didn't put anything like that amount in - more like a half pound.  OK I'll start again. Thanks for your help WBS -  just seems a  shame to waste the juice.  Would more yeast not change the flavour though?

The theory is that the yeast should match the sugar so you shouldn't have any unreacted yeast left to affect the flavour. The problem is if you just start adding a bit more of this & a bit more of that, you lose track of what you've done and then, yes, you could well have a problem with taste. Best thing to do is start with fresh must, get a decent recipe which gives you the right yeast, nutrient and sugar quantities based on how much must you have and then it should all work fine.

I am the sort of person that likes to follow a recipe - comes of having a science degree  ;) - but with wine making I get the impression that it's more important than most things to be accurate with your quantities. I guess like jam making, you eventually get a feel for what will work and what won't so you can start to play a bit more but I'm certainly not there yet.

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS