Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: flummoxed.com  (Read 6846 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
flummoxed.com
« on: September 08, 2013, 09:41:14 pm »
I have three demijohns with wine must in them - all started bubbling ever so slowly then stopped - 2 grape juice, 1 rhubarb.  I added some more wine yeast and it has done absolutely nothing - any ideas folks?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Re: flummoxed.com
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:17:35 pm »
How long have they been on for? Could they be finished fermenting? Have you tasted them?

Where are they? If they get too cold then the yeast won't be working as well. Try moving them to a sunny window or near the cooker. See if that brings them back to life.

That's about all the idea I have, either finished or too cold.  :fc: that helps you

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 11:11:47 pm »
Agree. I've just bottled my first batch - gooseberry - and I was expecting it to be fermenting for ages but actually it was done in just over a week. Mind you, it was pretty vigorous over that time. I had it up close to the radiator in the bathroom which is the only source of heating at this time of year (and we have a cold house - rarely above 20 in any other room). To be sure of temp, you can buy little strip thermometers to stick on the outside of the demijohn - bit like forehead thermometers for kids.

H

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 11:15:00 pm »
The first time I made wine (cherry), it never seemed to do anything... After a few weeks I thought I'd check if it had gone off - but it must have done its fermenting whenever I wasn't looking: it was so strong half a glass was enough to get decidedly tiddly on!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 10:29:39 am »
It's hardly bubbled at all in about three weeks, that's why I added more yeast.  Sits on kitchen worktop, room is usually around 20 mark.  I haven't tasted it but doubt if it's ready. Not a bubble to be seen.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 10:55:24 am »
But how long did it bubble for before that? It could be fully fermented in a week,

H

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 11:05:28 am »
It probably bubbled 5 times a day for 4 days  Is that enough?  It was grape juice that had been in my freezer for a year

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 11:40:31 am »
Did you activate the yeast before adding it? What type of yeast are you using? The other thing you could try is some yeast nutrient.  I've had a couple of wines thatbneeded some of that before the yeast took.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 12:09:18 pm »
No, it said to add straight to the must. Should I add more and activate it first?
I think I have nutrient somewhere too.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 01:26:48 pm »
Try the nutrient first I'd say. If you end up adding too much yeast you can affect the flavour of the wine. I would add the yeast nutrient and keep it in a warm place. If that doesn't work then I'd try more yeast activated first. Is it a new batch of yeast you are using?

:fc:

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 01:42:28 pm »
Brand new box although the first lot wasn't.  I'll try the nutrient.  Thanks.  Will update if anything bubbles  :excited:

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 10:47:21 pm »
Was just thinking about this post earlier while getting my Elderberry wine going. Did you put sugar in? You've not mentioned it. Even with very sweet fruit, you'll need some sugar added - and with tart fruit really quite a lot. My blackberry wine started with yeast for a few days before adding sugar and that did ferment quite nicely based on just the natural sugar levels but it still needed the extra sugar added later.

H

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 10:00:31 am »
I did put some sugar in - can't remember how much but not a lot - two demijohns of grape juice - how much should I have added?

Wouldbesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 01:01:33 pm »
Probably 4lb!

If you didn't put that much in, chances are the yeast has eaten all the sugar - you just end up with more elderberry flavours than alcohol flavours and obviously a lower ABV.

If you want to increase the ABV rack off 2 demijohns into 3, make up as strong a sugar/ water solution as you can (making sure all sugar is dissolved) top each demijohn up. If there is sediment in the demijohns at the moment, mix it up a little, this should get the yeast working again, if not you could always repitch some new yeast and nutrient.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 01:39:33 pm »
Gosh I didn't put anything like that amount in - more like a half pound.  OK I'll start again. Thanks for your help WBS -  just seems a  shame to waste the juice.  Would more yeast not change the flavour though?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS