Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pecking chickens, action to take.  (Read 1446 times)

BML

• Joined Dec 2010
Pecking chickens, action to take.
« on: August 29, 2013, 04:32:19 pm »
 My niece gave me her two laying hens when she moved to a house without the space to keep them.  She mentioned that one hen used to peck the other and gave me a spray that was supposed to inhibit this behaviour.   For the first couple of days they seemed all right and then the pecking hen increased its pecking so that the other hen had bald patches all over its body.
I then installed a wire netting barrier between the two with water and food in each plus laying space.  The hen that had been sujecte3d to the pecking then became absolutely bereft pacing up and down its side of the wire fence clucking and jumping up and down obviously distressed at being parted from the other hen.  I don’t know what else I could have done, perhaps someone here does.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: Pecking chickens, action to take.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 04:43:10 pm »
Its just the pecking order at work i'm afraid, one giver and one taker is never the best situation.

Even in a large space i've seen one bird constantly follow another trying to peck it.

The best option is to separate them or add more birds and spread the load.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 06:11:18 pm »
Speak to me nicely and PM me your address, so that I can send you a couple of plastic anti peck spectacles to put on your chickens. They don't hurt them, they do work and no this isn't a wind up. :chook:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 08:11:39 pm »
One hen likes the taste of blood and the extra protein BML. You need a drastic solution so try the specs or separate. The hen is only upset because her food supply has gone.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS