Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 8232 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Re: Eugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 01:10:13 pm »
yes we have 2 houses- the spare one isnt very big so they have to cram in for a while. we dont leave them out for all that long- i leave all the doors open to aid drying time and probably have them back in in a couple of weeks. my sister in law once put her hens straight back in the same day. managed not to kill any but their eyes were streaming next morning. the eggs smell as well if you do it too quick

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 01:08:27 am »
I've been creosoting since I had a problem under a broody early in the season - that was a scene I never wish to repeat. And, yes, I've been juggling houses so I moved the chickens into a new duck house for three weeks while their house aired, then I've done the smaller houses and runs as they've been vacated by the broodies and broods. I've been painting the outsides with pretty Cuprinol colours and the inside with creosote - idea  was then to put them away until next season although I'm recruiting a few newbies so I think I'll be wheeling them out again soon. It's a big job (and still ongoing). Thank goodness for the good weather. But no sign of red mite since (although I smell awful!).

H

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 08:22:26 am »
I've reached the half way mark and replaced the roof on two of my sheds. :fc:

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 07:34:07 am »
OMG I am sooooo glad this isn't just me!  I have felt such a Dirty Gertie...!!!  Despite being quite conscientious about cleaning my main coop is ALIVE with mites..... I have cleaned a small rabbit coop, and washed the 6 ex batteries and they were all crammed in there last night.  Today I plan to "creosote" (I can't get real creosote so use a mix of bitumen and white spirit for my rather old broody runs each year) the broody runs and have a good go at the old coop..... the main coop now needs to have the lino I put in to keep it clean earlier this year removed..... and I have to put my head in there to clean it..... I am COVERED within seconds.... its sooo horrible!!! and the house is fixed so I don't know how to get rid of whatever is on the ground?  I've done a lot of burning and will get some wood ash for the hens, I use DP once a week, but frankly don't have much luck with it...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 07:10:14 pm »
Shower cap, for the cleaning. Looks daft but way nicer than red mites in the hair!

Horrid little b€$$%$

summermeadows

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 08:04:31 pm »
I came on the forum today to find an answer to the red spider mite problem and I have! I am so glad to see I'm not the only one and that there is a solution - creosote. I am so sick of the poor hens being bitten and losing lots of their feathers and spraying the run with alleged red spider mite killer to no avail... thanks everyone!

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 05:59:50 am »
I finished the third shed yesterday and it now has a brand new roof. I've done both inside and out with something called creocote ( not sote) and left it wide open all night to help it dry. The sheds all look very smart in their new attire and now, its a matter of fingers crossed that my efforts are going to have been worthy it. I have another two sheds to sort out but can't do too much about them until this last one has dried and I can move birds into it. :fc:

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 10:53:50 am »
Aaarrgghhh...the red mite horror story continues from the thread not so long ago!!

Horrid horrid things!

We still have them in our ark but not so many now as a few weeks ago and seem contained to under the perch. Powder and spray not doing much so going to try Diatom earth next. I've been putting my hens shoddy condition down to the over amorous 'Jack' but I'm now thinking these blighters have something to do with it too!

http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 12:02:49 pm »
I came on the forum today to find an answer to the red spider mite problem and I have! I am so glad to see I'm not the only one and that there is a solution - creosote. I am so sick of the poor hens being bitten and losing lots of their feathers and spraying the run with alleged red spider mite killer to no avail... thanks everyone!

SM, be aware that there is CreoSote (the original stuff) and CreoCote which is a creoSote substitute and nowhere near as effective for mites etc.

The CreoCote substitute is the one you'll find in B&Q, Homebase and the like.

A few agricultural supply places sell Creosote but you can get in online here and have it delivered.

http://www.creosotesales.co.uk

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 03:14:45 pm »
Thanks for that link Clansman, we've been looking for the real stuff  :thumbsup:
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 03:24:59 pm »
Once you have red mite in the house the best solution is ..... a match!   They float on the breeze, you spread them yourself so always visit a house with red mite last, whether opening up, topping up water and feed or closing up at night.  Have individual henhouses as far away from each other as possible.  If they get on you they'll make their way up to your scalp (warmer there).  Just wait a couple of hours then wash your hair.  (Of course you may also wish to shower, bearing in mind the route they'll have take to get there!)

One of our projects for this Autumn is to design and build henhouses which are less likely to harbour red mite but which are cheap and simple enough to be burned without a pang of regret if they get infested. 

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 03:54:49 pm »
Even if there were any suitable red mite free poultry housing on the market, I certainly couldn't afford to torch a couple of grands worth of tongue and groove chicken housing.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 04:48:25 pm »
Once you have red mite in the house the best solution is ..... a match!

Cresote does the job, i've used it for years and swear by it.

I do still occasionally find the odd red mite but no infestations or ill looking birds.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 04:56:59 pm »
Thanks for that link Clansman, we've been looking for the real stuff  :thumbsup:

Its a bit more expensive than the local places but if you can't find a local seller its ideal.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 06:08:32 pm »
Up until this last lot, I was getting creosote from my farm supply depot but the last time I went to get some, they slipped me the Creocote and to be honest, its very watery compared with the real Mc Coy.
As far as Onduline is concerned, we have it on our stable rooves and the usual supports suffice and its the same with my reroofed chicken sheds. :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS